Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCC 4.6 Brings Intel Optimizations, AVX, Improvements

Phoronix: GCC 4.6 Brings Intel Optimizations, AVX, Improvements

While no release announcement has yet to hit the wire, GCC 4.6.0 is now available. Uploaded to the GCC mirrors yesterday afternoon was the GCC 4.6.0 final source packages, right ahead of their planned release which is/was expected to be around Monday. It was only earlier this month that the first release candidate arrives, but this is one rather nice update to the GNU Compiler Collection...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    There's also (finally) Intel Core 2 optimizations for GCC that can be tapped using core2 with the mtune and march options.
    Could you give a short explanation here about what you mean? -march=core2 has been working for a long time now.

Comment

Also, it has already been pointed out to you in another thread that it's "-Ofast", not "-0fast".

Comment

No matter how I compile unrar with GCC 4.6 the result ends up slower than what GCC 4.5.2 generates.

Not only slower, the resulting binary is larger (just by 4KB, or about 2%).

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          Could you give a short explanation here about what you mean? -march=core2 has been working for a long time now.
          Yes I reacted at that aswell, maybe he meant that there has been additional optimizations added to core2 by CodeSourcery/Intel which have made it into 4.6. But like you said 'core2' has been available through '-march' and '-mtune' for gcc 4.5.x. In fact when I use '-march=native' on my core i5 machine, gcc 4.5 chooses 'core2' as evident by doing a 'gcc -c -Q -march=native --help=target'.

Comment

There's a good change you sole GNU's thunder by announcing the release before the project did

Comment

Originally posted by Michael
              I've been running some GCC 4.6 benchmarks versus GCC 4.5.2 along with LLVM 2.9 SVN and the LLVM Clang compiler and LLVM's DragonEgg optimizer for GCC. Those benchmarks should be on Phoronix this coming Monday.
              Could you please add ICC benchmark to your results? I've been using ICC recently and I have a feeling that it generates a lot faster code than GCC.
              I'm using GCC 4.5.2 and ICC 12.0.2
              Code:
              $ gcc --version
              gcc (GCC) 4.5.2 20110127 (prerelease)
              Copyright (C) 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
              This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
              warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

$ icc --version
              icc (ICC) 12.0.2 20110112
              Copyright (C) 1985-2011 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Comment

Working...
              X