No announcement yet.

Talking Radeon GLSL From X@FOSDEM 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The reality is that in this particular case I don't care. For whatever reasons the audio was encoded in mp3, so what? Doesn't your machine have mp3 playback capabilities? It's a single audio file to listen once and delete the second later; nothing would change by using other format, except your complaints (hey, that's actually a good reason : ).

I'm not saying that you are wrong, just that it makes no sense to get too anal for a file that everybody can play without problems, as if this was the final battle in the patent wars.

By the way, some people access Phoronix from work, with a Windows machine. I bet those don't have Vorbis support 'out of the box'.

Comment

Originally posted by yotambien View Post
      The reality is that in this particular case I don't care. For whatever reasons the audio was encoded in mp3, so what? Doesn't your machine have mp3 playback capabilities?
      Not everyone has legal means to play mp3. Yes, I realize how easy it is to install mp3 support in gstreamer but that is not the point. The point is that it is ridiculous for a website that reports news about free software platforms to provide content that is unable to legally be played by free software.

It's a single audio file to listen once and delete the second later; nothing would change by using other format, except your complaints (hey, that's actually a good reason : ).
      Right, so why even bother having to install additional codecs to play this single file when most Linux distros have open audio codecs already installed. Not only that but several browsers have built-in support for vorbis.

I'm not saying that you are wrong, just that it makes no sense to get too anal for a file that everybody can play without problems, as if this was the final battle in the patent wars.

By the way, some people access Phoronix from work, with a Windows machine. I bet those don't have Vorbis support 'out of the box'.
      I don't think anyone is being rude about it but there are many people who are politely making it known that they prefer the patent-free solution. Perhaps Windows does not support vorbis natively. Does it support mp3 natively? Last I checked, Windows required either an mp3 codec or an application with a built-in mp3 decoder to be installed in order to play mp3s.

Comment

The reality is that in this particular case I don't care.
        This particular case does not differ for the other particular cases where he will again have to choose a specific format. So my complaints has nothing to do with this specific case only, but with the future cases as well.

For whatever reasons the audio was encoded in mp3, so what?
        From our other conversations, you know very well yotambien that for me it's important the use of free software. So to say "so what" is like if you want to throw oil in the fire on purpose. I don't want to be forced to use proprietary formats at all and in a site which supports Linux and free software mainly and in an article about Free and Open Source Developers' European Meeting, you expect to see a respect to the free software.

Doesn't your machine have mp3 playback capabilities?
        How do you know that is not illegal to my country to use proprietay formats without paying? Also, why are you so sure that I don't have a pure free distro?

It's a single audio file to listen once and delete the second later; nothing would change by using other format, except your complaints (hey, that's actually a good reason : ).
        I see your point. Nothing would change if I throw my rubbish in the street since someone is going to collect them, nothing would change if I don't go to vote in the national elections since there are millions of others to do that, nothing would change if I kill a bear since there are still thousands of them somewhere on the mountains, nothing would change if I waste the water...
        I have seen this kind of arguments a lot of times in life. I fyou are happy with them don't try to persuade me that I should be too.

That's the matter? Just to play without problems? I see...

They can install vorbis in the same way I can install mp3 decoder in my Linux machine. I can not understand why this works only from my part...

Comment

Of course since vorbis is not patent free, using it would be supporting whole concept of software patents. Free to use or not.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
            Of course since vorbis is not patent free, using it would be supporting whole concept of software patents. Free to use or not.
            From vorbis.com
            Ogg Vorbis is a completely open, patent-free, professional audio encoding and streaming technology with all the benefits of Open Source.
            They lie?

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
              From vorbis.com

They lie?
              My apologies, was thinking of Theora, long day.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                My apologies, was thinking of Theora, long day.
                I guessed so

Comment

The reality is that in this particular case I don't care. For whatever reasons the audio was encoded in mp3, so what? Doesn't your machine have mp3 playback capabilities? It's a single audio file to listen once and delete the second later; nothing would change by using other format, except your complaints (hey, that's actually a good reason : ).

Holy hell ! What am i seeing here ?!

Is this really Mr. Legal Problems speaking ?
                  what happened with all patent-will-kill-your-dog, bury-your-hard-drive and make-Red-Hat-cry-in-the-corner thing ?

this is some aggressive multi-layered trolling i see.
                  and if you really write about "legal problems" of free software on the opensource site from "windows machine without vorbis/ogg installed" that is something that tells a weight of your words...

i think i will regret about answering honestly about all that but in case you're not playing dumb this time: adding files like this into my opensource-talk collection is really making my teeth cringe "for all the good reasons". not as if it your business and proprietary problems are mine...

Comment

Originally posted by dfx. View Post
                    Holy hell ! What am i seeing here ?!

Is this really Mr. Legal Problems speaking ?
                    what happened with all patent-will-kill-your-dog, bury-your-hard-drive and make-Red-Hat-cry-in-the-corner thing ?

this is some aggressive multi-layered trolling i see.
                    and if you really write about "legal problems"
                    my apologies for this part, i have mixed up you with some truly senseless bastard - ignore it. and damn the stupid phoronix edit-only-in-time-of-1-minute rule.

rest still stands though.

Comment

Originally posted by bugmenot
                      Not everyone has legal means to play mp3.
                      This is false.

Originally posted by bugmenot
                      I don't think anyone is being rude about it but there are many people who are politely making it known that they prefer the patent-free solution. Perhaps Windows does not support vorbis natively. Does it support mp3 natively? Last I checked, Windows required either an mp3 codec or an application with a built-in mp3 decoder to be installed in order to play mp3s.
                      And I don't think I said you were rude, but overreactive. Let me restate it: I too would expect a Vorbis file from Phoronix, it doesn't follow logically from anything but I would expect it. My point is that I don't think that it deserves all the flak you are giving it, considering the work involved in bringing here that piece of audio and the next-to-zero practical considerations involved.

Good point about Windows. I gave for granted that it had mp3 support out of the box; are you sure about this?

Originally posted by Apopas
                      This particular case does not differ for the other particular cases where he will again have to choose a specific format. So my complaints has nothing to do with this specific case only, but with the future cases as well. I don't want to be forced to use proprietary formats at all and in a site which supports Linux and free software mainly and in an article about Free and Open Source Developers' European Meeting, you expect to see a respect to the free software.
                      I mean the particular case of Phoronix uploading some audio files from time to time in a format that everybody can play, not the particular case of this conference. We obviously have a different set of priorities and sensibilities, but that's OK.

How do you know that is not illegal to my country to use proprietay formats without paying? Also, why are you so sure that I don't have a pure free distro?
                      I was going to say "because you live in Greece" (an assumption), but it is more correct to say because you live in planet Earth. If you use a crippled distro, that is your decision and your problem.

I see your point. Nothing would change if I throw my rubbish in the street since someone is going to collect them, nothing would change if I don't go to vote in the national elections since there are millions of others to do that, nothing would change if I kill a bear since there are still thousands of them somewhere on the mountains, nothing would change if I waste the water...I have seen this kind of arguments a lot of times in life. I fyou are happy with them don't try to persuade me that I should be too.
                      But that's flawed. Contrary to throwing rubbish in the street or killing a bear, listening to an mp3 file doesn't have any negative consequences to others.

They can install vorbis in the same way I can install mp3 decoder in my Linux machine. I can not understand why this works only from my part...
                      That was exactly my point, it works both ways. But Bugmenot has already debunked my assumption that Windows has mp3 support out of the box, so nevermind this.

dfx., I'm 100% sure you confused me with somebody else, yes : )

Comment

Working...
                      X