Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
    Mir is a joke (a bad one).
    yes it is
    looks like ill be unstalling Xubuntu on my wife's Computer

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
      Not for me.

Mir is a joke (a bad one).
      why is mir a joke? i dont see any technical thing about it wrong, so sir i think you are the joke

Comment

Originally posted by MrTheSoulz View Post
        this is not true, theres a good reason to run the DE on mir (for what i understand), drivers! the software layer will be X.org and drivers will be mir (X+Mir=xmir) wich means x.org no longer manages the drivers mir does.
        i might be wrong but this is what i understand about it.
        No, that's not a good reason at all. Currently X is still a lot better supported when it comes to drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Because it's a potential candidate to the successor of X.org. Right now it's a race between wayland and mir, and while mir is younger and less supported by the community, it's catching up really fast.
          There is no race, and there has never been one. Ubuntu is going to use Mir, everyone else is going to use Wayland. Canonical is just rushing Mir for their own needs, and others are waiting for DEs to gain Wayland support before switching to it.

Originally posted by dee. View Post
          No one sane would do such a thing with Wayland because it's entirely pointless to run and entire DE on top of a compatibility layer. With Wayland, there's a stable protocol that allows developers to write their own Wayland compositors, which can run Wayland natively, so there's no need for kludgy hacks like running a DE on XMir is.
          That's true, and I've been thinking the same thing. The reason why Canonical is pushing XMir is because they have nothing like Weston. You can't run X applications on Mir without the whole DE running on XMir. On Wayland, you can, thanks to Weston.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
            No, that's not a good reason at all. Currently X is still a lot better supported when it comes to drivers.
            But X11 is not developed by Canonical! Get yourself in the mind of a fanboy and you might understand why using the same drivers for XMir on Mir is better than just using X.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
              Isn't that handled by the kernel drivers?
              It's handled by KMS in the kernel, yes, but the question is what calls into KMS from userspace. X or Mir?

Comment

i dont see what is so complicated.
                when botting ubuntu detects what drivers are you running and loads either mir + xmir or x.org, im i wrong?
                Sure, but i don't see how that makes the driver situation any better than the old way of doing things. If anything it's worse - which means i think that's a poor reason to use when asked about why XMir should be used for the whole DE like Ubuntu is doing.

Comment

Mir is not really doing any thing at all what you're getting is Xmir it the same at opening a window using Wayland on top of Xorg no point at all in doing this maybe on a Developer Level but Mir is not ready for that at all it's maybe a year away from the looks of it This Xmir Thing PR and to put the Blame on Nvidia intel Mesa and AMD for no Driver Support any one remember Ubuntu Releasing Unsupported Xorgs?

Put Window here is all you're getting from Mir when Wayland/Weston can run as a DE and DS and do what you want it to

Comment

why is mir a joke? i dont see any technical thing about it wrong, so sir i think you are the joke
                    There isn't any technical reason to go Mir, having Wayland as an option, nor to go XMir in any case.

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                    It's handled by KMS in the kernel, yes, but the question is what calls into KMS from userspace. X or Mir?
                    I guess Mir.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
                      I guess Mir.
                      If true, then i guess it's a good way to get some beta testing of their modesetting code in Mir.

Still doesn't seem like a good reason to switch the whole default DE in Ubuntu over to XMir, though. That kind of thing should be handled by a beta program.

Comment

Working...
                      X