No announcement yet.

The ATI R600g Driver Gets Boosted By A New Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most of the commits to the r600g driver seem to have come from Dave Arlie (Red Hat), Jerome Glisse (Red Hat) and Marek Olsak (independent). Development has been going pretty crazy on it for a while now, ever since Jerome first opened it up for outside contribution.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
      You card is r700: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_R700#Architecture

"Ta-da": http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature
      (If it's updated, but it seems it is)
      Hmm it says power saving is all done for R700, yet the leaf blower on my 4850 X2 is much, much quieter with FGLRX than with radeon in Ubuntu 10.10 even. It's not due to rendering inefficiencies I don't think because the throttling is a fairly immediate change.

Yes, I know it was a high end card and needs powerful fans, it was a joke. :P

Comment

That power saving is marked as "done" does not mean that there is no room for improvement.
        Also you need KMS and a recent kernel (2.6.36-rc or drm-next) to enjoy the latest and greatest PM code.

Comment

Yfwrlf, are you using the latest PM code (kernel modesetting, recent kernel, control by echoing text strings to system files) and if so which settings are you using ?
          Test signature

Comment

If pm is marked done, does dynamic pm works without glitches now?

Comment

No big secret or conspiracy why r600g is moving along, myself and Jerome have just gotten a big chunk of free time in our schedules and r600g seemed like a good plan. I suspect we'll disappear again in a while to do some non-upstream work, hopefully things will be in a good state before that happens.

Comment

Originally posted by airlied View Post
                No big secret or conspiracy why r600g is moving along, myself and Jerome have just gotten a big chunk of free time in our schedules and r600g seemed like a good plan. I suspect we'll disappear again in a while to do some non-upstream work, hopefully things will be in a good state before that happens.
                I, and I think everybody in the Linux world, hopes so
                Can we an how, as regular Linux users show Red Hat some appreciation?

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
                  I, and I think everybody in the Linux world, hopes so
                  Can we an how, as regular Linux users show Red Hat some appreciation?
                  You certainly can... if you mean financially, by subscribing to RHEL: https://www.redhat.com/apps/store/desktop/

If you want to offer gratitude, you can express it to airlied -- which you just did

You can also keep up to date smolt profiles posted for all your hardware -- this information is extremely useful in helping red hat to allocate resources properly.

Comment

Why isn't ATI paying Jerome and airlied to do full time r600g development work? I bet those 2 can get r600g on par with the catalyst driver in a few months ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by markg85 View Post
                      Why isn't ATI paying Jerome and airlied to do full time r600g development work? I bet those 2 can get r600g on par with the catalyst driver in a few months ^_^
                      Because both are full-time Red Hat developers already and it's more of a time issue?

Comment

Working...
                      X