Open-Source ATI R500 3D Milestone!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source ATI R500 3D Milestone!

Phoronix: Open-Source ATI R500 3D Milestone!

Coming just a day after AMD had opened up their production microcode from their proprietary drivers for the R100 to R600 GPUs, a significant milestone has been reached in the road to open-source 3D graphics capabilities for the Radeon X1000 (R500) series. We now have hardware-accelerated glxgears!

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow.

I'll wait till the first 3D work goes into master, but still, impressive...

Comment

I'm impressed!!!

Comment

When I realized what a mess ATI drivers were when I got my Dell Inspiron with the X1400 back in January 2007, I was very disappointed and swore off ATI, with the promise that I will never buy another ATI or AMD component again. I take that back. I am proud of ATI since they've changed face last September, and they are rather close to earning me back as a customer.

Comment

Originally posted by dotancohen View Post
          When I realized what a mess ATI drivers were when I got my Dell Inspiron with the X1400 back in January 2007, I was very disappointed and swore off ATI, with the promise that I will never buy another ATI or AMD component again. I take that back. I am proud of ATI since they've changed face last September, and they are rather close to earning me back as a customer.
          Indeed. That's my current take on things. It's still not there yet, but that's not because of ATI's doings, save indirectly (It took 'em long enough to get us data... ). In the end, I'm still not using ATI, not because they're not the choice- the support's not gelled enough yet. Until that's the story, I still can't tell someone to get one of AMD's GPUs yet.

Comment

I am proud of ATI since they've changed face last September, and they are rather close to earning me back as a customer.
            Let me second that, all I need is some more performace (Windows gaming, sorry folks ), but I'm sure RV770 will satisfy my needs.

Comment

I have a RV515 (X1300) and will certainly run this free driver if it runs Compiz properly...

Can never get compiz to work with the non-free drivers!

Comment

I just tried this (ie compiled and installed mesalib, libdrm and the drm kernel modules) from David Airlie's git repo.

`startx` locked up my machine completely, however I have this in my Xorg.0.log (after a hard reset );
                Code:
                (II) RADEON(0): Direct rendering enabled
                (II) RADEON(0): Render acceleration unsupported on Radeon 9500/9700 and newer.
                (II) RADEON(0): Render acceleration disabled
                (II) RADEON(0): Using XFree86 Acceleration Architecture (XAA)
                        Screen to screen bit blits
                        Solid filled rectangles
                        8x8 mono pattern filled rectangles
                        Indirect CPU to Screen color expansion
                        Solid Lines
                        Scanline Image Writes
                        Offscreen Pixmaps
                        Setting up tile and stipple cache:
                                32 128x128 slots
                                32 256x256 slots
                                16 512x512 slots
                (II) RADEON(0): Acceleration enabled
                I also have this in the system logs;
                Code:
                Mar 21 19:00:43 [kernel] [drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
                Mar 21 19:00:43 [kernel] ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:01:00.0[A] -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16
                Mar 21 19:00:43 [kernel] [drm] Initialized radeon 1.28.0 20060524 on minor 0
                Mar 21 19:00:43 [kernel] agpgart: Found an AGP 3.0 compliant device at 0000:00:00.0.
                Mar 21 19:00:43 [kernel] agpgart: Putting AGP V3 device at 0000:00:00.0 into 8x mode
                Mar 21 19:00:43 [kernel] agpgart: Putting AGP V3 device at 0000:01:00.0 into 8x mode
                Mar 21 19:00:43 [kernel] [drm] Setting GART location based on new memory map
                Mar 21 19:00:43 [kernel] [drm] Loading R300 Microcode
                Mar 21 19:00:43 [kernel] [drm] writeback test failed
                This is with an x1950 pro agp card (rv570).

I know I really can't expect to get this working right now, however the Xorg.0.log has kind of got my hopes up, anyone have any ideas of anything I could try?

I'd be perfectly happy just to have direct rendering working...

Comment

Originally posted by Sadako View Post
                  I just tried this (ie compiled and installed mesalib, libdrm and the drm kernel modules) from David Airlie's git repo.

I also have this in the system logs;
                  Code:
                  Mar 21 19:00:43 [kernel] [drm] Initialized [b]drm 1.1.0 20060810[/b]
                  Mar 21 19:00:43 [kernel] ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:01:00.0[A] -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16
                  Mar 21 19:00:43 [kernel] [drm] Initialized radeon 1.28.0 20060524 on minor 0
                  Mar 21 19:00:43 [kernel] agpgart: Found an AGP 3.0 compliant device at 0000:00:00.0.
                  Mar 21 19:00:43 [kernel] agpgart: Putting AGP V3 device at 0000:00:00.0 into 8x mode
                  Mar 21 19:00:43 [kernel] agpgart: Putting AGP V3 device at 0000:01:00.0 into 8x mode
                  Mar 21 19:00:43 [kernel] [drm] Setting GART location based on new memory map
                  [b]Mar 21 19:00:43 [kernel] [drm] Loading R300 Microcode[/b]
                  Mar 21 19:00:43 [kernel] [drm] writeback test failed
                  This is with an x1950 pro agp card (rv570).

I know I really can't expect to get this working right now, however the Xorg.0.log has kind of got my hopes up, anyone have any ideas of anything I could try?

I'd be perfectly happy just to have direct rendering working...
                  Your DRM module is loading the R300 microcode and it looks like it is an old version. Are you sure you are loading the new DRM module you built? It normally drops them in /usr/local

Comment

This is most definately a huge achievement... I can't wait to see what else will happen, because it's going to open the field heavily once more of the opengl support is coded in to the driver.

Comment

Working...
                    X