No announcement yet.

KDE Software Compilation 4.4 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In a past thread, the Phoronix member 'dust' provided what I consider a very good indicator of OS usage. The Wikipedia logs:

I don't see reasons to believe that these are flawed in any important way. Wikipedia is almost the perfect site to retrieve this kind of information from. Surely it's western-centric, anglophile and has an educational bias, but I don't see how this would affect the OS trends. For sure, it won't skew the Linux distro usage patterns. Also, since this is just counting browser hits, it will only count desktop machines, and not your hypothetical Unix render farm or backup server.

Code:
    OS	                Requests	Percentage
    Windows	       3,933,522	88.18%
    Mac	                  301,282	6.75%
    Linux	                    69,354	1.55%
    iPhone	            44,451	1.00%
    BlackBerry	            16,132	0.36%
    SymbianOS             5,829	0.13%
    DoCoMo             	654	0.01%
    SunOS                	486	0.01%
    FreeBSD	                442	0.01%
    Total           	4,460,684	100%

Platform Mac and Linux
    Mac Intel	              260,915	5.85%
    Mac PowerPC      	40,050	0.90%
    Linux Ubuntu        	31,479	0.71%
    Linux Debian      	  4,560	0.10%
    Linux Fedora	          3,349	0.08%
    Linux SUSE	          2,921	0.07%
    Linux Android              2,087	0.05%
    Linux Gentoo	            970	0.02%
    Linux Red Hat	            642	0.01%
    Linux CentOS                 498	0.01%

Comment

• Originally posted by yotambien View Post
      In a past thread, the Phoronix member 'dust' provided what I consider a very good indicator of OS usage. The Wikipedia logs:

I don't see reasons to believe that these are flawed in any important way. Wikipedia is almost the perfect site to retrieve this kind of information from. Surely it's western-centric, anglophile and has an educational bias, but I don't see how this would affect the OS trends. For sure, it won't skew the Linux distro usage patterns. Also, since this is just counting browser hits, it will only count desktop machines, and not your hypothetical Unix render farm or backup server.

Code:
      OS                    Requests    Percentage
      Windows           3,933,522    88.18%
      Mac                      301,282    6.75%
      Linux                        69,354    1.55%
      iPhone                44,451    1.00%
      BlackBerry                16,132    0.36%
      SymbianOS             5,829    0.13%
      DoCoMo                 654    0.01%
      SunOS                    486    0.01%
      FreeBSD                    442    0.01%
      Total               4,460,684    100%

Platform Mac and Linux
      Mac Intel                  260,915    5.85%
      Mac PowerPC          40,050    0.90%
      Linux Ubuntu            31,479    0.71%
      Linux Debian            4,560    0.10%
      Linux Fedora              3,349    0.08%
      Linux SUSE              2,921    0.07%
      Linux Android              2,087    0.05%
      Linux Gentoo                970    0.02%
      Linux Red Hat                642    0.01%
      Linux CentOS                 498    0.01%
      There was another distribution map on the net a while ago that did show the popularity of each distro in their region. It did show quite a variance in what distro was popular where. Just off the top of my head I recall openSUSE being the flavor of choice in Russia and Germany, with fedora kicking ass in india, etc. I'm sure I posted it in some other thread here but one thing was clear that there really wasn't a clear dominant "universal" distro.

Comment

• I think Gnome probably does have the lead in western countries, but there's a huge # of users in South America and Asia where I think KDE dominates, and I don't think those users necessarily frequent places like Distrowatch. Anyway, who really cares about this. There's absolutely no possible way to settle this question, you're all just guessing and no one is going to convince anyone else because you all know you're just guessing.

Comment

• There's absolutely no possible way to settle this question, you're all just guessing and no one is going to convince anyone else because you all know you're just guessing.
          You just had to go ahead and spoil the fun, didn't you?

Comment

• Meh, what's Gnome?

Comment

• Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
              Meh, what's Gnome?

If you want to help freeing some little Gnomes look here:

There's also some other thing.

Btw. if someone's interested in reading more about new, shiny KDE look here:

The latest 4.4 release of the KDE Software Compilation offers far more than just stability and bug fixes: The developers have added a special new desktop for netbooks as well as new and improved desktop tools. They have also made major structural changes

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                You just had to go ahead and spoil the fun, didn't you?
                I'm sure you will have some fun with next Gnome release, this time in Gnome-centric topic.
                Next Gnome release isn't that far away so hold your horses for a few months.

Comment

• Originally posted by that guy View Post
                  I thought this thread was about KDE 4.4.
                  No, apparently this thread is about guys substituting their penises with their DE.

Comment

• Originally posted by r1348 View Post
                    No, apparently this thread is about guys substituting their penises with their DE.
                    Retarded like you should be banned. You are the typical sexually repressed person who only talks about the same everywhere.

Shut up!

Comment

• Originally posted by KDesk View Post
                      Retarded like you should be banned. You are the typical sexually repressed person who only talks about the same everywhere.

Shut up!
                      I lol'd hard.

Comment

Working...
                      X