Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X Server 1.7 Released With XI2/MPX Glory

Phoronix: X Server 1.7 Released With XI2/MPX Glory

It's late, but it's finally here. X Server 1.7 has been released...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

yay!

Has anyone found some usable end-user documentation for MPX? I'd like to play with it a little, but google only turned up information from last year.

Comment

Will VGA arbiter be able to support the switchable graphics feature available on netbooks equipped with two gpu, without rebooting?

Comment

"X Server 1.8 should come in about six months."

Good one Phoronix.

Now, what are the chances of 1.7 reaching Ubuntu Karmic?

Comment

Originally posted by unimatrix View Post
          "X Server 1.8 should come in about six months."

Good one Phoronix.

Now, what are the chances of 1.7 reaching Ubuntu Karmic?
          As I understand it - absolutely no chance! But I guess you could install it yourself (if you know how or want to do a lot of reading)..

Comment

Originally posted by anbog View Post
            As I understand it - absolutely no chance! But I guess you could install it yourself (if you know how or want to do a lot of reading)..
            Which means that Ubuntu will always be released with a six months old X Server from now on?

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelPalin View Post
              Which means that Ubuntu will always be released with a six months old X Server from now on?
              No, I think the idea is that Ubuntu should now be able to trust the next X Server to release before shipping 10.04, and then follow beta/RC of that until it goes final.
              This time, there was no certainty it would go final before 9.10 and so a decision was made to stay with 1.6.

Sorry if this is incorrect - I'm still somewhat a Linux noob..

Comment

I've compiled it today and it works ok. No problems encountered...
                For VGA arbiter to work correctly you need 2.6.32 so I guess that even bleeding edge distro's wich are rolling release will not distribute it for another 2 months...

Comment

Does it matter that much if a distro releases with and "older" X Server?

Just convince them that there's a bug that needs to be addressed after your distro releases and that the best way to fix it is to upgrade to a new X Server.

From this bug submitted against the to be released OpenSuse 11.2:
                  Do we want a pretty invasive patch like this in 11.2 after MI8? I guess we don't. I would assume the best we can do is to update the server in X11:XOrg to 1.7 as soon as 11.2 is out (and 1.7 is released). If it works it would contain this patch already.
                  Even if they don't provide it in a normal update after the 11.2 release, I'm sure I'll be able to find it on an alternative package repository. While it would be nice to see it on release, out-of-the-box, I'll still get it if I want it enough (and I do because one specific bug that is important to me because it brakes some silly game I play under Wine ).

Comment

Originally posted by anbog View Post
                    No, I think the idea is that Ubuntu should now be able to trust the next X Server to release before shipping 10.04, and then follow beta/RC of that until it goes final.
                    This time, there was no certainty it would go final before 9.10 and so a decision was made to stay with 1.6.

Sorry if this is incorrect - I'm still somewhat a Linux noob..
                    Nah I don't think so, I think 10.04 will ship with either 1.6 or 1.7, definitely not 1.8 while it's in an alpha state as 10.04 is supposed to be pretty stable when it is released AFAIK since it is LTS.

Comment

Working...
                    X