Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EA on the way of cross platform gaming???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EA on the way of cross platform gaming???

Today I've received word of Ea acquiring a "multi year license" for unity engine.

Originally posted by Kyle Orland
    Electronic Arts today announced it's purchased a multi-year enterprise license from Unity Technologies that "enables every EA studio and developer across the globe full access to the entire range of Unity products from web and mobile to consoles and beyond."

The company promised "a number of titles are in development" using Unity technology and that they plan to "utilize the Unity development platform across multiple franchises and genres."

In the announcement, EA cited the Unity environment's ability to produce code for multiple platforms with a single click as a major selling point, and one that the company hopes will reduce development costs for multi-platform titles.

"Unity's unparalleled platform support ensures that when we have something we want to share with our players, we can reach them quickly on the platforms they have," said EA VP and Chief Creative Director Richard Hilleman. "We have spent a lot of years looking at development assets of all kinds. Unity represents one of the deepest commitments we have ever made."

"We're excited about and proud of our long term relationship with Electronic Arts," said David Helgason, CEO of Unity Technologies. "Unity's ability to straddle from the highest-end productions to the littlest development teams is something we're immensely proud of."

EA previously used the Unity environment in the production of 2008 browser-based title Tiger Woods PGA Tour Online.

Since its launch in 2007, Unity claims over 170,000 developers have used their technology to create games for platforms including the Wii, Xbox 360, PS3, iPhone, iPad, Android and their browser-based web player, which has been installed over 30 million times.

Yesterday, the company announced support for Allegorithmic's Substance Engine would be integrated into an upcoming Unity update.

Financial details surrounding the agreement were not disclosed.
    Apparently with the official support of android platform i guess it's a small pet to port to other linux kernel based OSes, right?

Source: Gamasutra

Originally posted by Setlec View Post
    Today I've received word of Ea acquiring a "multi year license" for unity engine.

Apparently with the official support of android platform i guess it's a small pet to port to other linux kernel based OSes, right?

Source: Gamasutra
    It'd make for an easier port, yes (There's some differences in things on Android (that didn't need to be done, but Google did 'em anyway...) that makes for a bit of extra work on engine or game code to move FROM Android to Linux- but it's very much doable...0

But it doesn't lead that they'll do one for Linux, per se, yet.

Comment

yeah but it would be great though! EA is such a monneywhore that doesn't deserve any of our cash... Unless they start making games for us too...

I thought that android was quite the same as gnu/linux... is android that different? could you quote some of those differences?

Comment

The graphics stack is quite different. As an example, most distros use the X window system; Android does not.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Setlec View Post
          yeah but it would be great though! EA is such a monneywhore that doesn't deserve any of our cash... Unless they start making games for us too...

I thought that android was quite the same as gnu/linux... is android that different? could you quote some of those differences?
          If you design a game that is meant to be played on a touchscreen, then it's hardly worth redoing all the input code so it can be played on a desktop. Other than puzzle games, games that work well with a mouse and keyboard don't work so well on cell phones, and vice versa.

Comment

Working...
          X