No announcement yet.

AMD Reportedly Plans To Bring Mantle To Linux, Calls Mantle An Open-Source API

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Call me when Intel and NVidia support it, otherwise this will only mean more complications.
    Well I woldn't care about them, the other GPU developers like Qualcom, Imagination, ARM and whoever I forgot to mantion, would have an bigger impact if exposed with Android which involves oss linux support in the first place. This would also justify the expense since the market share would be bigger and probably all so called hsa soc could be compatible.

That's giving a lot of power to AMD to say what new features should be included in future versions of Mantle.
    ... This is why it's better to have an API designed by Khronos or Microsoft,
    Like with gddr which more or less are ddr modificatons from amd aquired as standard. Its teh same with many Koronos standards.
    Last edited by _ONH_; 18 June 2014, 04:50 AM.

Comment

Certainly they won't do it if it is in hands of AMD. They could, though, hand it to Khronos.

Comment

i wonder.. if AMD get mantle support via gallium3D. It wont take much to make it work on the other gallium drivers like nouveau would it? What is AMD waiting for? what would be something to get rid of the image they created for themselves.... or shall i say grave...
        people might trust them. And i am sure that Valve/Steam might also be interested as open source drivers will be a great point of debugging in the long run.
        The question is: what is AMDs benefit from it? as i understand it it is only for boosting their CPU sells as they would suffice for future uses with little-overhead-API and HSA architecture i guess.

Comment

Even if they got Mantle support to mesa/gallium3d, it would still need support from official NVidia, nouveau is not really a choice for gaming so far and legacy applications depend on OpenGL.

Comment

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
            i wonder.. if AMD get mantle support via gallium3D. It wont take much to make it work on the other gallium drivers like nouveau would it?
            No. Mantle needs special hardware features that only GCN has. AMD can't even support all of their own DX11 hardware with it.

I wonder why AMD makes it sound like they'd need to start from scratch on Linux. Why not have a shim around Mantle to handle the OS abstraction for Mantle on Windows and Mantle on Linux? As far as I know that's how NVIDIA treats their OpenGL driver and it does wonders for their driver quality.

Comment

I'm an OpenGL advocate first, but I realise that there are non-gaming companies such as Autodesk, that keep OpenGL from being as lean as it can be, and maybe they even have a right to. OpenGL didn't start out as a gaming API anyway.
              If OpenGL 5.0 doesn't solve its issues, I hope AMD hand over Mantle to Khronos or something, and NVidia and Intel get onboard. On Windows, I've seen games having up to a 50% increase in framerate on Mantle compared to DirectX. Mantle would need to play nice with SDL, but I believe that's in the SDL devs' court.

Comment

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
                i wonder.. if AMD get mantle support via gallium3D. It wont take much to make it work on the other gallium drivers like nouveau would it?
                In theory, it wouldn't take anything. You can implement APIs on top of gallium as long as you only use concepts already abstracted by the pipe driver. That said, Gallium most likely will need some major refactoring to support an API like Mantle or Direct3D12.

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                No. Mantle needs special hardware features that only GCN has. AMD can't even support all of their own DX11 hardware with it.
                Well I don't have access to the API or it's documentation, and I assume that neither do you. So let's just not spread info that is probably not accurate. It is very well possible/probable that such capabilities are not REQUIRED but only exposed if present on hardware....
                Let's also not confuse implementation with API...

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                  No, and no or have you read the spec, an involved independent developer told, the nv should have the hw that is not within all the HD6000 and earlyer AMD GPU.
                  I wonder why AMD makes it sound like they'd need to start from scratch on Linux. Why not have a shim around Mantle to handle the OS abstraction for Mantle on Windows and Mantle on Linux? As far as I know that's how NVIDIA treats their OpenGL driver and it does wonders for their driver quality.
                  They want to change how Catalyst interacts with Linux, and that needs to bee decided/implemented up on first, the second reason could be that they woul oss the linux driver.

Isn't it also with catalyst the case that amd has sort of a shim to connct the platform independent code to linux.

Comment

Originally posted by _ONH_ View Post
                    No, and no or have you read the spec, an involved independent developer told, the nv should have the hw that is not within all the HD6000 and earlyer AMD GPU.

They want to change how Catalyst interacts with Linux, and that needs to bee decided/implemented up on first, the second reason could be that they woul oss the linux driver.

Isn't it also with catalyst the case that amd has sort of a shim to connct the platform independent code to linux.
                    Then explain to me why Johan Andersson of DICE who was one of the main guys behind Mantle and its integration into Battlefiled 4, says that he isn't even sure if Kepler would work with Mantle?

Johan Andersson ist ein starker Befürwörter der neuen 3D-Schnittstelle Mantle. Im Interview spricht der Battlefield-Entwickler unter anderem über die Multiplattform-Eignung, die lange Geschichte und Performance-Vorteile..

c't: Eine GPU braucht also lediglich ein gewisses Funktions-Niveau und schon klappt es mit der Mantle-Kompatibilit?t?

Andersson: Genau, nicht jede GPU ist Mantle-f?hig. AMD-Chips m?ssen beispielsweise mindestens auf der GCN-Architektur basieren.

c't: L?sst sich sagen, dass man mindestens eine DirectX-11-kompatible GPU braucht?

Andersson: Nein, so einfach ist es nicht. Die Architektur der GPU muss davon unabh?ngig ganz bestimmte Anforderungen erf?llen. Man muss jede Architektur einzeln anschauen. Nvidias Kepler ist auch eine ziemlich moderne GPU. Ich weiss nicht genau, wie sie mit Mantle funktionieren w?rde, aber klappen w?rde es bestimmt.
                    Not that hard to translate. You have to look at every GPU architecture seperately to see if it's Mantle capable.

Comment

Originally posted by mdias View Post
                      Well I don't have access to the API or it's documentation, and I assume that neither do you. So let's just not spread info that is probably not accurate. It is very well possible/probable that such capabilities are not REQUIRED but only exposed if present on hardware....
                      Let's also not confuse implementation with API...
                      actually, that was told on one of the first mantle presentation. if i remember correctly it was representative for nvidia that asked it. and answer was "you have to license gcn"

now. story changed as it seems. they actually said that MOST of mantle is not gcn specific. still, until nvidia and intel join, mantle is just short time vaporware

Comment

Working...
                      X