Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    If only they did that to Scaleform
    Haahaa yah if unity was smart they would dump gtk and go with Qt C++/Javascript/Python like everyone else.
    You should take a look at the OGRE QML Demo.

Comment

• Originally posted by kigurai View Post
      Not true at all. Clutter and Gtk have different use-cases.
      Ahh, that explains why Clutter is going to be integrated directly into GTK 4?

Originally posted by cr7ish View Post
      Which applications do you mean? With GNOME Documents, for example, it's not the case:
      Once Document uses GTK 4, it'll use Clutter. GNOME Boxes, to name a new GNOME application, already uses Clutter.

Comment

• Originally posted by zester View Post
        Don't forget about Maya, Mudbox, Motionbuilder, Houdini, Nuke & NukeX, Mari, Katana, Hiero, RealFlow, Cinema 4D, Indego Renderer, Maxwell Renderer, ...
        Just to name a few.

Qt is a standard in the VFX buisness. Autodesk is moving all of there products to Qt. Motionbuilder 2014 is the new addition this year.

All of the programs i just listed work natively on linux except Cinema 4D now thanks to Qt.
        No, those programs work on Linux because that is where the market is for those tools. It has nothing to do with Qt.

The entire VFX industry has or is moving there pipelines to linux, windows is barely even used any more in this aspect. Adobe is the only one holding
        everyone back from going linux only.

Digital Domain recently gave Krita huge props and or is using it for the Gi Joe movies, I think they even purchased a support contract.
        That's nice, you do realize they moved to Linux from UNIX, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
          Ahh, that explains why Clutter is going to be integrated directly into GTK 4?

Once Document uses GTK 4, it'll use Clutter. GNOME Boxes, to name a new GNOME application, already uses Clutter.
          Gtk integrating clutter more than it does today does in no way mean that Gtk is going away, and everyone will start writing applications in pure clutter.
          ebassi explains the relationship between Gtk and clutter in this stackoverflow answer: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9...lutter-gtk-etc

Comment

Gtk integrating clutter more than it does today does in no way mean that Gtk is going away
            It means that the devs realized how bad GTK currently is and try to fix that by ripping huge parts of GTK out and replace them with Clutter, hoping that will help GTK.
            That, however, does not change anything about the bad situation GTK is in right now.

Comment

It means that the devs realized how bad GTK currently is and try to fix that by ripping huge parts of GTK out and replace them with Clutter, hoping that will help GTK.
              That, however, does not change anything about the bad situation GTK is in right now.
              That's your spin. You could just as well say "The devs realize that using clutter more could make Gtk even better", which is how I have perceived the situation.
              I am still not certain that Gtk is in a bad situation. There are lots of great Gtk applications, and I haven't really noticed any decline in the last years.

Comment

I haven't really noticed any decline in the last years.
                Then I suggest you read the articles you comment on?

Comment

Then I suggest you read the articles you comment on?
                  I do. It says that one application switched from Gtk to Qt and cited what I assume is valid reasons.
                  It's a single sample point, and you can extrapolate anything from it if you really try.
                  In itself it means nothing.
                  Weighted together with the fact that there are still lots of great applications that use Gtk and new applications being written, I'd say it's a bit early to shout failure or death.
                  It is true that Qt seems to gain more traction than Gtk right now, and I think that is good since there are lots of cross-platform applications being written.
                  But I fail to see how the success of one toolkit somehow imply that all the others are failing. Because in that case Qt is obviously failing as well considering the large amount of iOS applications being written :P

Comment

I do. It says that one application switched from Gtk to Qt and cited what I assume is valid reasons.
                    It's a single sample point, and you can extrapolate anything from it if you really try.
                    In itself it means nothing.
                    Weighted together with the fact that there are still lots of great applications that use Gtk and new applications being written, I'd say it's a bit early to shout failure or death.
                    It is true that Qt seems to gain more traction than Gtk right now, and I think that is good since there are lots of cross-platform applications being written.
                    But I fail to see how the success of one toolkit somehow imply that all the others are failing. Because in that case Qt is obviously failing as well considering the large amount of iOS applications being written :P

To be fair on the last point... as of 5.1 you can write iOS apps in Qt. So we can actually get to see how many prospective Devs go and grab QtCreator instead of XCode after Qt5.1
                    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                      To be fair on the last point... as of 5.1 you can write iOS apps in Qt. So we can actually get to see how many prospective Devs go and grab QtCreator instead of XCode after Qt5.1
                      Oh, that's cool
                      So I picked a bad example, but I think my point still stands.

I think it is great that Qt has so good cross-platform support, because it means a lot of nice applications become available for Linux. That's a good thing.

Comment

Working...
                      X