Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kubuntu + KDE 4.0 RC2

Phoronix: Kubuntu + KDE 4.0 RC2

KDE 4.0 Release Candidate 2 was made available yesterday as the last testing release before the final KDE 4.0 build next month. If you've been wanting to try out this latest version of KDE 4.0, but aren't yet ready to fully upgrade, there are Linux LiveCDs already available that integrate KDE 4.0 RC2. Two of these LiveCDs are the OpenSuSE-based KDE Four Live 0.8 and a KDE 4.0 spin of Kubuntu.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For me the konqueror in Kubuntu did not work correctly as webbrowser - the SuSE live cd worked better in that way. smb browsing did not work too, so maybe add some more packages...

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      For me the konqueror in Kubuntu did not work correctly as webbrowser - the SuSE live cd worked better in that way. smb browsing did not work too, so maybe add some more packages...
      Yeah, I had problems with Konqueror too with Kubuntu... but running it from the konsole worked fine in Kubuntu.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

With the opensuse (via virtualbox) the network connection and sound has not worked in any release to date for me... the kubuntu spin has worked much better, except for sound which is now broken... that said, things have really come together in these last couple of releases... i know 4.0 isn't end-user, but damn, it's going to be hard not to run it.

Comment

I want to like KDE so bad with all the MS-love coming from the creators of Gnome, but is this really what it's going to look like? I don't understand why by default the menus have to be so big with much of the font either disproportionately big or small depending on what you look at. And it's probably my fault for not knowing the keyboard shortcuts, but I can't stand using Konsole for anything except to type xterm as quick as possible. I'm really hoping for some nice themes for this desktop that completely change how it looks once it gets released.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuapurcell View Post
            ...but is this really what it's going to look like? I don't understand why by default the menus have to be so big with much of the font either disproportionately big or small depending on what you look at....
            Here and there I've heard talk that no, that is not the going to be the default theme, and that most of the big icons and menus are simply there by default to produce screenshots with more detail. But we shall see.

Comment

Working...
            X