Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our Favorite Features So Far For Fedora 21

Phoronix: Our Favorite Features So Far For Fedora 21

While Fedora 21 is still within planning and early development stages, there's already a number of changes that have us looking forward to this next Fedora Linux release toward the end of 2014...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Very interesting there will be a CPU only OpenCL driver included.
    Getting the CPU driver in good shape and relatively bug free in the not too distant future is more realistic than the GPGPU drivers.

Basic x86 changes less than the GPU instruction sets in GPU's. There for the CPU driver can be made to work somewhat reliable, relatively bug free and give something to developers that can be used for testing OpenCL applications in the not too distant future. Since the GPGPU drivers will need more time and work to get them to work than the CPU driver. Having a CPU driver can really help and drive adoption for OpenCL.

From: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Relea...angeSet#OpenCL
    The change includes enabling Mesa's OpenCL state-tracker (in 10.0 with ICD support), packaging pocl - an CPU only OpenCL implementation - ...

Comment

Because the CPU OpenCL driver can work on more systems and provide broad coverage for OpenCL testing (almost all CPU's in desktop machines are x86 / x64) for application developers, including it is more important than the GPGPU drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
        Because the CPU OpenCL driver can work on more systems and provide broad coverage for OpenCL testing (almost all CPU's in desktop machines are x86 / x64) for application developers, including it is more important than the GPGPU drivers.
        It's however slower than native path.

Comment

Also, a cpu implementation is not representative of a gpu. You cannot tell if you actually coded badly, and the kernel scales to nothing; actual development still needs to be on a gpu system.

Comment

Man, if Fedora gets Mesa OpenCL before Arch I'm going to be sad. I've checked around the IRC a bit but nobody seems to know what game plan is on getting it switched on for extra/mesa. I've wanted to try mining doge for so long, but I'd have to build Mesa from git and I always get regressions that cripple my system.

Comment

Python 3 by default and X without superuser privileges!
              Cool, sounds like a promising release!

Comment

Meh, nothing user-facing. Cool for people that like technology, but for the average user.... nothing that they can see.

Comment

Isn't Gnome Shell 3.12 an interesting feature, or is that possibly coming to F20?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    Python 3 by default and X without superuser privileges!
                    Cool, sounds like a promising release!
                    Python 3 is accepted as F22 Change but it spans through more releases. So I added it on the list as F21 but it seems it can be too confusing, so I removed it for now (until I sort out way how to represent it in more clear fashion ;-).

Comment

Working...
                    X