Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHP5's Successor Might Be PHP7

Phoronix: PHP5's Successor Might Be PHP7

PHP developers are currently debating whether the next-generation version of the PHP programming language is to be known as PHP 6 or PHP 7...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think that's reasonable. Most pre 2009 books about php 6 covers some features of php 5.3.

But I don't think that next version sould be 7.0. 5.7 is better number. 7.0 should be jit.

Comment

Who's going to read pre-2009 PHP books anyway ?

Comment

Originally posted by lethal View Post
        Who's going to read pre-2009 PHP books anyway ?
        Yeah, if the book is about server-side programming and is older than like 3 years - throw it in the trash can.

Anyway, I read that PHP is a wacky and funny language with childish/rushed decisions because its author had issues, is it still true and will it be true for PHP 7?

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
          Anyway, I read that PHP is a wacky and funny language with childish/rushed decisions because its author had issues, is it still true and will it be true for PHP 7?
          The list of PHP flaws is quite long. But from my POV most of these flaws are not meaningful.

For me the biggest PHP issue is speed. I like modern PHP frameworks.

On the other hand you have really good and fast language - C++ that lacks of really good web framework. There is nothing like C++ Symfony or Zend with good ORM.

So you have crappy language or crappy frameworks

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
            Yeah, if the book is about server-side programming and is older than like 3 years - throw it in the trash can.

PHP is so broken that I'm skeptical they could fix all of the problems and still have something existing PHP programmers would recognize.

Read PHP: a fractal of bad design and then realize that it's not a complete list.

(eg. The article doesn't mention that it's literally impossible to get raw decoded pixel data more efficiently than calling imagecolorat() once per pixel when using the PHP GD bindings because they wrap the C API so directly that they don't provide a replacement for "The handle is just a pointer. Dereference it if you need raw pixel data for something like equality comparison of two decoded lossless images.")
            Last edited by ssokolow; 21 July 2014, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by michal View Post
              The list of PHP flaws is quite long. But from my POV most of these flaws are not meaningful.

For me the biggest PHP issue is speed. I like modern PHP frameworks.

On the other hand you have really good and fast language - C++ that lacks of really good web framework. There is nothing like C++ Symfony or Zend with good ORM.

So you have crappy language or crappy frameworks
              You don't have a C++ symfony, but you got orm with annotation: http://www.codesynthesis.com/products/odb/

EDIT: I agree so much with you. PHP is one of the worst language but with the best tool for the web. We really need a symfony for C++ or something like that. I heard that cppcms was not that bad, but I never tryed.

Comment

Originally posted by gufide View Post
                I heard that cppcms was not that bad, but I never tryed.
                CppCMS if well documented - compared to other C++ frameworks, but it's still not enough. There is a thing called cppcmsskel - that might help if you want to start using cppcms, but it's not well documented and there was no mysql/postgresql support when I tried it. Unfortunately I don't have much time for such things like framework development, so I can not help improve situation.

Maybe someday I'll learn WT and I'll buy commercial license for this framework. But there is no large market for web services in c++, so I don't have any pressure. I've only one project in my mind that could be a killer app because of c++ performance.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                  Phoronix: PHP5's Successor Might Be PHP7

PHP developers are currently debating whether the next-generation version of the PHP programming language is to be known as PHP 6 or PHP 7...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc0NjE
                  I really think Perl developers need to do something like this -- just admit that they bit off too much and take another run at it.

Comment

They need to make a new version called NoPHP.

Comment

Working...
                    X