No announcement yet.

America's Army Returning To Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I played AA regularly and enjoyed it from initial betas up to the last Linux 2.5 release and even a bit beyond.

If they come back, I'll probably renew my contact info and account and start playing again.

If not, whatever. I don't expect much from them, the Army targets the majority, they want conformists who will mindlessly follow orders, and Linux/OSX doesn't follow that philosophy well.

Comment

Why do you care that much of possible propaganda there - it's just a game.

Comment

It's not "just a game". This game has been made for propaganda purpose. And if you don't belief this go read the official statements. They say it themselves that this is done for said purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
          It's not "just a game". This game has been made for propaganda purpose. And if you don't belief this go read the official statements. They say it themselves that this is done for said purpose.
          Agreed.
          And you are free to call it propaganda tool (it is, what's the problem here?) or whatever you wish and refuse to enjoy it as a game just for that purpose - or (especially when you're not US citizen) you can just play the game - quite nice multiplayer 3D shooter with at least acceptable graphics and good replayability - your choice.
          (I'm not referring to anyone particular here - 'you' = those who take more ideological approach - it's purely personal taste whether it's worthy to take it).

Besides, what's really that bad in advertising national military service? As long as you are free to decide for your own whether to join...

cheers
          Last edited by reavertm; 09 September 2008, 12:05 AM.

Comment

And you are free to call it propaganda tool (it is, what's the problem here?) or whatever you wish and refuse to enjoy it as a game just for that purpose - or (especially when you're not US citizen) you can just play the game
            For me, it becomes a problem when the game becomes preachy and pushy. I don't know if America's Army is like this, but as it's usually what propaganda implies, it really destroys the enjoyment when they keep pulling you to the side to say how great something is, when you really don't care and just want them to shut up.

Comment

Originally posted by reavertm View Post
              Agreed.
              And you are free to call it propaganda tool (it is, what's the problem here?) or whatever you wish and refuse to enjoy it as a game just for that purpose - or (especially when you're not US citizen) you can just play the game - quite nice multiplayer 3D shooter with at least acceptable graphics and good replayability - your choice.
              (I'm not referring to anyone particular here - 'you' = those who take more ideological approach - it's purely personal taste whether it's worthy to take it).

Besides, what's really that bad in advertising national military service? As long as you are free to decide for your own whether to join...

cheers

Beyond the propaganda, just to review the game, I found it boring as you need to do all the training stuff before playing. You must follow the orders. When I play a game, I want to shoot and kill, not to train myself before shooting. However, it's always nice to have a tutorial part in the game, just to learn the movement combination and the use of weapons, but in AA, this training part is far too much for my taste.

Comment

Originally posted by reavertm View Post
                A couple of points here. First you do not join them "out of free will". If you know with what tricks they lure people in ( including things like looking for drunk students on beaches since they sign any crap ) then you would not think that high of said army. Second this army has caused more bad press than their commanding president did. For me this is simply a red flag since this is not an army but a human disrespecting tool to oppress whoever has a different opinion ( remember the line "who is not our friend is our enemy"? ). I'm in general against war games ( that is, those based on real world wars that happened or trying to glorify the "almighty" American army <.=.< ) so this is not against one particular game.

Comment

While these are valid points, I have to make a comment on all of this.

This in a sense the elitism that's been pushing companies away. We're getting a game on the Linux platform (forgetting the fact that it WAS), for FREE*, and you all are talking about it's bad points. In all the crap that's been going on lately with Linux gaming (UT3 delay, Carmack's supposed drop of official support, etc), I see this as... well kind of hard to explain, so I'll use a quote from The Dark Knight, "because it's the game we need, but not the game we deserve." One just has to look past the propaganda.

I'll say this, if AA comes out on Linux before UT3 I'll be thoroughly angry at Epic.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
                    A couple of points here. First you do not join them "out of free will". If you know with what tricks they lure people in ( including things like looking for drunk students on beaches since they sign any crap ) then you would not think that high of said army.
                    You know, there are still countries, where military service is obligatory...
                    Those being drunk to loosing unconsciousness should blame only themselves - as they could have been as well used for sex, robbed or just beaten.

Comment

Originally posted by me262 View Post
                      I'll say this, if AA comes out on Linux before UT3 I'll be thoroughly angry at Epic.
                      Oh yeah, same here, as if AA runs with UT engine, this will really really annoy me as we would all then imagine that the port of UT3 linux client could have been done much much faster.

Imagine AA running with linux before UT3 and both games using the same engine ?

Comment

Working...
                      X