No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 12.6 For Linux Disappoints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW, ATi have had crap drivers under WinNT kernels for years too, what their excuse there too? (rhetorical, I don't actually care - I just want a product that works for ~1.5 year before it goes in the bin and I get the next shinny one, particularly GPU's)
    when? I'm using ATI/AMD cards and drivers since 2003 and their stuff always worked (aside from that one card that decided it would be a wise decision to stop spinning the fan)

Comment

Waaaaaah, AMD is dropping binary support for hardware that is supported better by open source drivers.

Boo-Hoo,
      Cry me a river.

Comment

I am quite happy with my Radeon HD 4670 using R600g with Fedora 16. I just finished playing a game of Trine that was working flawlessly, and I am looking forward to even more performance improvements when I upgrade to Fedora 18 this summer. I do not think I am being screwed by using AMD.

The dropping of Catalyst support is somewhat of a disappointment, but the only machine in my house that is using it I am going to be replacing Fedora with CentOS on it for a number of reasons anyway. So I am not all that affected by it. Some people are and they can be angry. But personally, I am sitting pretty myself.
        Last edited by Hamish Wilson; 29 June 2012, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
          Waaaaaah, AMD is dropping binary support for hardware that is supported better by open source drivers.

Boo-Hoo,
          Cry me a river.
          Where did you get that "is supported better by open source drivers." from? The open drivers still overheat my CPU (yes, the CPU) when used with the HD3200 in my laptop. No, they are not supporting my hardware better.

Comment

AMD Catalyst 12.6 For Linux Disappoints
            Is that even possible?

Comment

Originally posted by TobiSGD View Post
              Where did you get that "is supported better by open source drivers." from? The open drivers still overheat my CPU (yes, the CPU) when used with the HD3200 in my laptop. No, they are not supporting my hardware better.
              my notebooks (15.4" display, without display about 2.5 cm thick) has also a Radeon HD 3200 and it doesn't overheat, when I use the free Radeon driver under Fedora 17. The CPU reaches temperatures around 72? C (on a plastic desk and about 25 ?C outside temperature) but I think this is normal for a Athlon II CPU.

For dedicated notebook graphic card power saving is probably a bigger issue, but with a IGP card, with a normal sized notebook it works pretty fine with the free Radeon driver too. At least for me.

And if you enter "echo low > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile" it will probably help with power saving a bit. Maybe it's 2 or 3? degree cooler then. Just add it to the startup script of you distro. Under Fedora it is /etc/rc.d/rc.local
              Last edited by Fenrin; 29 June 2012, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Going to test this see if it fixes some D3 crashes /prays ..... Okay to all the previous posts ..... WTF?!?! On both sides....

Intel - well their open source is nice, not as good performance as Windows from the results I have seen and not forget all the dirty crap
                they did to sink AMD early on. Oh , I maybe wrong but didn't Intel create secure boot? *read on wiki it had to do with Itanium's originally.

I own serveral nvidia cards, the latest being a GT520, I experienced random mishaps and had a FX melt under linux so don't go claiming their the bee's knees or nothing. I will concede their binary blob is more polished (even in windows AMD has had a bad driver history). I like nvidia like I like intel.... Great performance effed up price (mostly).

AMD - What can I say. bang for buck, sometimes less then professional results. We all know it however I will usually throw my money in the AMD pile especially for older laptops I don't plan to game on since the OS driver is fscking great for such things (with older kernels as well YMMV) .

Who's nicer to Linux? LOL ... seriously? Back stabbing Intel? Binary only NVIDIA? Craptastic AMD? Nope I vote for beer.

Comment

Originally posted by Fenrin View Post
                  my notebooks (15.4" display, without display about 2.5 cm thick) has also a Radeon HD 3200 and it doesn't overheat, when I use the free Radeon driver under Fedora 17. The CPU reaches temperatures around 72? C (on a plastic desk and about 25 ?C outside temperature) but I think this is normal for a Athlon II CPU.

For dedicated notebook graphic card power saving is probably a bigger issue, but with a IGP card, with a normal sized notebook it works pretty fine with the free Radeon driver too. At least for me.

And if you enter "echo low > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile" it will probably help with power saving a bit. Maybe it's 2 or 3? degree cooler then. Just add it to the startup script of you distro. Under Fedora it is /etc/rc.d/rc.local
                  It is definitely not normal to have 15-20? C higher temperatures. Tried the power saving settings, but that didn't help. Reported this bug, but no solution yet. The radeon driver is simply not usable for me at this time, this is why I am angry about the dropped support. Now waiting for the legacy blob so that I can upgrade to Slackware -current again.

Comment

"AMD Responds To Torvalds' Harsh Words About NVidia By Releasing Catalyst 12.6" :-P

Comment

Originally posted by Altix View Post
                      Do you have a picture of the "GNU/Linux Ready" sticker on your graphic card's box?
                      I would be really interested in seeing it.

Comment

Working...
                      X