Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• r600_cp: Failed to load firmware "radeon/REDWOOD_pfp.bin"

hello,

i've just bought a radeon hd5670 and i'm trying to get it up running as best as possible.
    I'm currently running kernel 2.6.35, xorg 1.7.7 and xserver-xorg-video-radeon 6.13.1

KMS works fine but i get this error message:
    r600_cp: Failed to load firmware "radeon/REDWOOD_pfp.bin"

the file exists, of course:
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4480 Jul 6 01:37 REDWOOD_pfp.bin

any idea on how to solve it?

p.s. on a different note: is it possible to have the fan slow down? i've set dynpm=1 but the fan is still going at fullf speed.

When you copied that file later to that position do:

update-initramfs -u

Comment

Which distribution?

Did you compile the kernel yourself?

Is "radeon" a module or compiled into the kernel?

Where is the file REDWOOD_pfp.bin located?

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
        Which distribution?

Did you compile the kernel yourself?

Is "radeon" a module or compiled into the kernel?

Where is the file REDWOOD_pfp.bin located?
        thanks to both of you for the quick replies.

I'm using debian unstable with a vanilla kernel. the radeon driver is compiled statically so i don't use initramfs.
        The file is located in /lib/firmware/radeon/

I also have to add that before installing this card i was using the integrated HD3200 from my motherboard with the same exact configuration (except that it was loding the R600 firmware, of course) and it didn't give me any problem.

Comment

If your kernel is compiled statically, it will try to load the firmware before it mounts /lib/firmware. This cannot work.

You need to compile firmware into the kernel itself. I'm not at home right now to dig out the exact kernel options, but there is an option to specify external firmware (and the directory) to be compiled directly into the kernel.

I had the same problem some time ago, but with rlc_bin, not pfp_bin. Compiling it into the kernel solved it.

Comment

actually the firmware put in /lib/firmware is compiled inside the kernel, with the option you are referring to.
            As i said, this exact configuration was working with no errors with the hd3200 i used before.

Comment

This will help you, it works:
              So: Fedora 12, Kernel 2.6.33 stable. When i compile this kernel with radeon and KMS enabled i get the following: it take a whole minute for it to fall

Comment

Originally posted by dm0rais View Post
                nope. as i already wrote i was using r600 and it worked fine, doing the exact same steps listed in the link you posted, i'm having the problem with redwood only for the REDWOOD_pfp.bin file and KMS already works

Comment

Just to be sure, please grep for CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE on your kernel config file.

Adam

Comment

If you compile a kernel yourself with radeon drm built-in, you need to set CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE as described in the wiki:

Comment

Working...
                    X