Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRI2 Sync & Swap For ATI Finally Comes About

Phoronix: DRI2 Sync & Swap For ATI Finally Comes About

Last year a new set of DRI2 extensions came about for sync and swap support of display buffers to better reduce potential "tearing" that may appear on displays in some composited environments. This work that's exposed to the client through OpenGL/GLX extensions also can lead to improved performance, video memory savings, and other benefits as talked about extensively on the Composite Swap Wiki page. A new GLX swap event extension also came about out of expressed needs by the Clutter/Mutter developers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"and hopefully the needed DRM change(s) will make it into the Linux 2.6.35 kernel"

Welcome to Linux where you can't update a single driver without updating them all. gg.

Comment

Oh thank christ. After testing out Ubuntu 10.04, I thought video was going to be permanently broken on my old 9550. With compositing, video was at the mercy of any other application that felt like hogging some xserver time, to refresh it's pixmaps. Without compositing, I got the aforementioned tearing. Hopefully this work will find it's way downstream quickly, as my old 9.04 install is becoming unmanageable and I've had far worse graphical issues, with every other distro I've tried recently.

Comment

Originally posted by etnlWings View Post
        Oh thank christ. After testing out Ubuntu 10.04, I thought video was going to be permanently broken on my old 9550. With compositing, video was at the mercy of any other application that felt like hogging some xserver time, to refresh it's pixmaps.
        Have you tried turning off KMS and using UMS instead ?

Comment

A welcome improvement. I have mostly stopped using Compiz because I have to turn it off to get tearing free video.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            "and hopefully the needed DRM change(s) will make it into the Linux 2.6.35 kernel"

Welcome to Linux where you can't update a single driver without updating them all. gg.
            If you're lucky. If you're not, ...

Comment

On my 9600 pro, I managed to get tear-free video by using gl for video-out in mplayer and enabling indirect fullscreen for compiz. Now my hd videos play like a dream, even with KMS.

Comment

I look forward to sync and swap being ubiquitous, but for now, those folks getting tearing and reduced performance in games when fullscreening a video in totem or say quake live, be sure to goto the compiz settings panel and enable unredirect fullscreen windows, and all will be well again for fullscreen stuff, and you still get pretty compiz the rest of the time.

Comment

Wow... The epicness just keeps comming and comming and comming.

Looking forward to the day the FLOSS driver stack will whipe the floor with the blobs!

Good job and many thank to anyone involved in anything so far!

Comment

Anyone knows if this impacts Qt environments like KDE (and Kwin) in any way?

Comment

Working...
                    X