LibreOffice 4.1 Release Piles On New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by verde View Post
    I the cage or cave you may live probably everyone uses LO so there is no problem. In real world I cant force everyone to use LO (partners, companys, public institutions) so there is a huge problem and thats why it is hard to work on serious projects with LO.

Ignoring that is an easy solution. Thank god, LO developers are aware of that and they are keep improving it.

Mr. smart aleck!
    What makes it "a huge problem"? LibreOffice and OpenOffice.org have a very respectable share (not in terms of $$$ obviously, because LibreOffice and OpenOffice.org are free, but in terms of installations the figures for both are very respectable).

Besides:
    In a move which appears to reverse its previous approach based on Microsoft's file formats, the Australian Government's central IT decision-making agency appears to have decided that it will standardise its office documents on the Open Document Format going forward.

If governments keep making sensible decisions in picking OpenDocument format rather than the muddled lock-in mess that is Microsoft's OOXML, then it will become incumbent on Microsoft to improve their support of ODF if they wish to keep selling MS Office.
    Last edited by hal2k1; 27 July 2013, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hal2k1 View Post
      What makes it "a huge problem"? LibreOffice and OpenOffice.org have a very respectable share (not in terms of $$$ obviously, because LibreOffice and OpenOffice.org are free, but in terms of installations the figures for both are very respectable).

Besides:
      In a move which appears to reverse its previous approach based on Microsoft's file formats, the Australian Government's central IT decision-making agency appears to have decided that it will standardise its office documents on the Open Document Format going forward.

If governments keep making sensible decisions in picking OpenDocument format rather than the muddled lock-in mess that is Microsoft's OOXML, then it will become incumbent on Microsoft to improve their support of ODF if they wish to keep selling MS Office.
      I have already answered that on the quote you mention. Ignoring the problem is not a solution. Ignoring the feedback (most users problem with LO or AOO is the compatibility with MSO) is the worst action you could take.

I would like a world using only LO or any other free office suite too but thats not possible.

Libreoffice is making a fantastic job to improve support of proprietary formats. 4.1 is a huge step forward but still a complicated docx created on MS Word has a lot of bugs when i open it with LO. AOO is far behind LO in that area.
      Last edited by verde; 28 July 2013, 07:10 PM.

Comment

AOO is far behind LO in that area.
        I beg to differ. OpenOffice 4.0 fixed a lot of bugs and compatibility issues while throwing in several new features.

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
          I beg to differ. OpenOffice 4.0 fixed a lot of bugs and compatibility issues while throwing in several new features.
          http://www.openoffice.org/developmen...ses/4.0.0.html
          My opinion is based on a couple of documents that i have and i test every stable release of Libreoffice to see the differences. The progress in Libreoffice is fantastic but still there are many bugs.

I dont know how much Openoffice improved since last stable (i hadn't installed for a long time) version but in comparison between them, Libreoffice is far more compatible with documents created in MS Office.

As i said thats what i saw. You can test it yourself and post here your results too. Of course you will need a very complicated docx document to see the differences.
          Last edited by verde; 28 July 2013, 07:38 PM.

Comment

My opinion is based on a couple of documents that i have and i test every stable release of Libreoffice to see the differences. The progress in Libreoffice is fantastic but still there are many bugs.
            Have you sent the developers your complex docx files? I think somebody mentioned that they happily accept them via their bugzilla page. If it's got sensitive information then could you blank that out and then send it to them?

If you have then as an LO user I thank you :-)

Comment

Originally posted by archibald View Post
              Have you sent the developers your complex docx files? I think somebody mentioned that they happily accept them via their bugzilla page. If it's got sensitive information then could you blank that out and then send it to them?

If you have then as an LO user I thank you :-)
              https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=67450

Comment

I've personally never had too many issues with .doc/x compatibility. In fact ironically, just yesterday I opened a couple years old .doc file in Kingsoft Office (you know, the MS Office clone that's popular right now) and it opened with some garbled mess at the top and "/par" at the end of every line.

Opened in LibreOffice Writer... no issues.

Not saying it's the norm necessarily, but OO/LO has always worked well for my uses. I even used it for my school work back in 2007 (I think) and got away with it ha.

Comment

I dont know how much Openoffice improved since last stable (i hadn't installed for a long time) version but in comparison between them, Libreoffice is far more compatible with documents created in MS Office.

As i said thats what i saw. You can test it yourself and post here your results too. Of course you will need a very complicated docx document to see the differences.
                  So you haven't tested it for several releases, yet you still believe that Libreoffice is better based on outdated evidence?
                  Tell you what, you can test your compatibility files, to limit any potential bias you might have against Openoffice.

Comment

You forgot to attach file.

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
                      So you haven't tested it for several releases, yet you still believe that Libreoffice is better based on outdated evidence?
                      Tell you what, you can test your compatibility files, to limit any potential bias you might have against Openoffice.
                      I think i made it clear already that i tested OpenOffice 4.0 and LibreOffie 4.1 on this compliated docx file. I havent tested older OpenOffice versions since Apahe (3.4) so i dont know how much progress 4.0 version was. That was i was trying to say before.

Comment

Working...
                      X