No announcement yet.

A Buggy Mir Shown Running Unity 8 On Ubuntu Touch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reminds me of those cars that hide the door handles, locks, and gear shifter.

Comment

I would say the progress is quite good. Buggy, but they've got everything working at least. I'm sure the flickering issue will be resolved soon.

That said; I'm still waiting for Wayland; Screw Mir.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
        The Canonical leaders show why they are number one when it comes to Linux. Slowly but surely they will become synonymous with Linux just like Microsoft == Windows. No other company moves at the lightning speed at which Canonical moves. You either are with Canonical or you are left in the dust. Good times ahead for Ubuntu!
        Obvious troll is obvious. (ps. don't bother responding, cause this is the only comment you'll get out of me).

Comment

You're just jealous that Mir is advancing at this rapid pace while Wayland is still in 'design phase because they want to get it really right'.
          What you actually wanted to say is: Hey, a flickering version of Unity running on Mir, maybe we will see a phone with it next year, while we will see Wayland phones earlier.
          But you can't admit that Wayland phones will be out before Ubuntu phones, since you are a dumb troll.

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
            It's actually in a much better shape than I've imagined it to be. The performance seem quite decent and the tearing is looking easily fixable. The device is obviously responsive even with this buggy driver \ display server. And even the interface design is original and reasonable with the way the apps are accessible from below like that...

I felt the exact same way when I first saw it. Sure the flickers caught my attention, but not as much as how responsive and nice looking Ubuntu Touch actually was on top of Mir. I've been against Mir since its public announcement, but I must say I'm actually pretty impressed with what they got so far in this instance. Also the Ubuntu Touch interface actually looks great in terms of layout and design, I like it. They got some good UI people for this.

Just wish they didn't put so much man-power into fragmenting the community.

Comment

Originally posted by faildozer View Post
              I felt the exact same way when I first saw it. Sure the flickers caught my attention, but not as much as how responsive and nice looking Ubuntu Touch actually was on top of Mir. I've been against Mir since its public announcement, but I must say I'm actually pretty impressed with what they got so far in this instance. Also the Ubuntu Touch interface actually looks great in terms of layout and design, I like it. They got some good UI people for this.

I can only fully agree with that.

Comment

Originally posted by faildozer View Post

Since when are self-appointed upstreams "the community"?

Comment

It's very buggy, but it seems MUCH smoother than the demos at CES, where it would freeze for a sec or so between changing screens. Mir seems to be shaping up great in terms of performance (other than the bugs so far).

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                    The gestures look like a mess on that thing.
                    I actually flashed back to Android as I needed eBook reading, but I found myself wanting to do the gestures from Ubuntu-Touch.

The Ubuntu-Touch gestures are intuitive and simplified, which meets the KISS principle and the Zen style that Steve Jobs would love. The only gripe I have is the 'back' process isn't fast, in that you usually need to swipe up for base menu and then press the back button if it's there. I would also like to close programs faster than holding down for period on an open apps icon displayed in the apps area.

I think there is too much bias toward Canonical from those that are protecting their smaller projects. It's about time to give credit were due.
                    Last edited by e8hffff; 13 September 2013, 06:12 AM.

Comment

The Canonical leaders show why they are number one when it comes to Linux. Slowly but surely they will become synonymous with Linux just like Microsoft == Windows. No other company moves at the lightning speed at which Canonical moves. You either are with Canonical or you are left in the dust. Good times ahead for Ubuntu!
                      buahahahahahah

Comment

Working...
                      X