No announcement yet.

Reverse Engineering PowerVR Is Now A High Priority

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, so now it's a priority? Where have they been for the past...oooh, four years now?

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
      Looking at the list of other projects that have been labelled "high-priority", I think it means that it will never be done.
      Agreed. The FSF should either back the projects they label as 'high-priority' with financial and/or developer resources or stop labeling projects as such. Right now they are only making themselves look bad.

Comment

Refusing to buy nvidia cards probably hurts open source development more than it helps. If you had one, you could at least help out the nouveau developers by testing the nouveau driver.
        If you had a copy of Windows, then you could reverse-engineer their stuff and improve Wine.

If you don't buy Windows, you're also hurting OSS development. And Office. And Photoshop. Everybody, buy, now. Don't like, spend it on companies that actually pay for OSS developments, no, buy nvidia, MS and Adobe!

Comment

Stupid vendor-specific non-standard extensions!

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
          There will be a ton of device-specific tweaks, but then that's the same for Intel HD audio chipsets or SATA controllers or even USB HID devices. Nobody follows the damn specs precisely, so you always need drivers with a ton of tweaks.
          And that's exactly why we're so screwed, especially considering that these morons completely lack the concept of at least bothering to document how and where they intentionally screwed up.

Comment

Refusing to buy nvidia cards probably hurts open source development more than it helps. If you had one, you could at least help out the nouveau developers by testing the nouveau driver.
            Yeah right. Unlike a reverse engineered PowerVR driver the Nouveau driver is largely a waste of time since you have an option to buy a system with an integrated AMD/ATI or Intel GPU or buy a dedicated AMD/ATI GPU, you know, companies that actually spend money and dev time on OSS drivers for their hardware unlike Nvidia that just put out a gimmick and a pittance for OSS drivers.

Now though, for the vast majority of ARM based consumer products there is no option other then a PowerVR GPU and you can't add in your own GPU since none of the hardware comes with an expansion slot. Sure, Nvidia is making inroads into the ARM market with their Tegra line of SoCs, but the market is still dominated by Texas Instruments.

Yeah, I know Qualcomm's Snapdragon series SoCs use the ATI Imageon derived Adreno, but from what I've seen there?s no OSS driver being developed for it. Yes, there?s also VIA/S3's ARM chips like the WM8505, which has no good Linux driver, nor is it fast enough anyone to actually want something based around it outside of disposable mini laptops for black hatting.

Comment

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
              Ah poop! Nothing for my KyroII boo
              Let me cry with you brother! I really understand your feelings...

How nice where those days when Kyro 2 was ways in front of Ati and co. with the old 2.4 kernel driver, even in a binary form it was great at a much more experimental period for Linux

I still use my Kyro 2 card and unfortunately I am stuck with the XP cancer... We are not lucky I guess...

Comment

Originally posted by Wyatt View Post
                Oh, so now it's a priority? Where have they been for the past...oooh, four years now?
                When i was the only guy (apart from twini) doing something as useless as modesetting, i never heard of the FSF.
                When we were doing RadeonHD and were freeing ATI, pushing them to get docs out and writing a driver, we never heard of the FSF.
                When i wrote up the code to get a unichrome bootstrapped for a full VGA text mode, and later on a full graphical mode, i never heard of the FSF.

And now there is some guy out there, who REed a part of a different chip, and the FSF mistakenly thinks this guy does PVR stuff, now they make noise?

Pffff... talk about being irrelevant...

Comment

The FSF has been irrelevant for a long time. Aside from the GPLv3, they haven't done anything noteworthy since... GPLv2. Even their flagship software project, GCC, is starting to fall into irrelevancy as just about everyone interested in compilers is running in the opposite direction towards codebases that don't look like they were written by LISP programmers trapped in C programmers' bodies.

The amount of pure GNU software running on most Linux desktops is very small in comparison to the total amount of software running on them. The amount of pure GNU software running on the Linux mobile devices (which vastly outnumber the number of desktops around, Linux or otherwise) is infinitesimal.

I for one look forward to desktop-level replacements for glibc and coreutils, which will basically boot out GNU of the Linux OS ecosystem and let them rot where they belong with their pure-GPL HURD OS that still doesn't work 20 years after it was conceived.

Granted, I also look forward to just about all (L)GPL-licensed software being replaced with variants that value user experience over developer lazine^Wfreedom, so I'm probably already fairly biased against the FSF.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                    Yeah right. Unlike a reverse engineered PowerVR driver the Nouveau driver is largely a waste of time since you have an option to buy a system with an integrated AMD/ATI or Intel GPU or buy a dedicated AMD/ATI GPU, you know, companies that actually spend money and dev time on OSS drivers for their hardware unlike Nvidia that just put out a gimmick and a pittance for OSS drivers.

Now though, for the vast majority of ARM based consumer products there is no option other then a PowerVR GPU and you can't add in your own GPU since none of the hardware comes with an expansion slot. Sure, Nvidia is making inroads into the ARM market with their Tegra line of SoCs, but the market is still dominated by Texas Instruments.

Yeah, I know Qualcomm's Snapdragon series SoCs use the ATI Imageon derived Adreno, but from what I've seen there?s no OSS driver being developed for it. Yes, there?s also VIA/S3's ARM chips like the WM8505, which has no good Linux driver, nor is it fast enough anyone to actually want something based around it outside of disposable mini laptops for black hatting.
                    err what! sure there is , you didn't look very hard it seems....

lets see
                    http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=209324 which leads to
                    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=716224 and ooh look that leads to
                    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Qualcomm Releases Open-Source 2D/3D Kernel Driver
                    Posted by Michael Larabel on July 01, 2010

and OC you have heard about

Making the Mali GPU Device Driver open source
                    Posted by Sam Taylor,11 August 2010

and their ARM Mali-604 MP GPU OC.

not to mention the newest snapdragon Adreno 320 sometime next year OC

Comment

Originally posted by popper View Post
                      err what! sure there is , you didn't look very hard it seems....

lets see
                      http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=209324 which leads to
                      http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=716224 and ooh look that leads to
                      Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Qualcomm Releases Open-Source 2D/3D Kernel Driver
                      Posted by Michael Larabel on July 01, 2010
                      Let's see:

Originally posted by phoronix
                      Unfortunately the user-space component hasn't been released yet
                      Originally posted by popper View Post
                      and OC you have heard about

Making the Mali GPU Device Driver open source
                      Posted by Sam Taylor,11 August 2010

and their ARM Mali-604 MP GPU OC.
                      And again:

Originally posted by blogs.arm.com
                      "So what exactly have we decided to open source?

For the r2p0 release we've opened up all the Linux kernel side components of the Mali drivers under the GPLv2.
                      So they only opensource the kernel component, that's not very interesting.

Comment

Working...
                      X