Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will UT3 For Linux Be Released This Year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well I thought this wouldn't do any harm so I set up a petition for UT3 for Linux. It would be good if everyone who posted in this thread could sign it... You never know, Epic might see it...

It's such a shame that it's been delayed so long. And I think it is Microsoft's doing, Aegia can be ruled out now that they have been bought by Nvidia I think.

Comment

• Originally posted by fsckin View Post
      On
      I not a huge conspiracy guy myself, but Epic has lots of money invested in two Microsoft platforms which is where most of their money comes from: Xbox and Windows. I wouldn't be surprised if they do drop Linux support entirely after this debacle.
      I would almost agree with your statements, other than I cannot explain why there is no UT3 for XBox (Only PC and PS3) and only recently they did release Gears of War for Windows (Vista Only IIRC). Whatever the case, us Linux users, can only do one thing: Vote with our wallets, and that's what has been the case thus far. At this point I couldn't care less if Epic finally made it so that the Linux client would be released (sure I'd buy it all the same), what I care for is for other studios to also cater for Linux and new titles be released.

Comment

• Was my post deleted? I can I just not see my own post or something? I definitely posted because I am subscribed to the thread...

Comment

• Originally posted by Borb View Post
          Was my post deleted? I can I just not see my own post or something? I definitely posted because I am subscribed to the thread...

Users with a post count less than three are put in a moderation queue if they have a link embedded in the post. This is to protect against spammers. The post has now shown since it cleared the moderation queue.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Borb View Post
            Well I thought this wouldn't do any harm so I set up a petition for UT3 for Linux. It would be good if everyone who posted in this thread could sign it... You never know, Epic might see it...

It's such a shame that it's been delayed so long. And I think it is Microsoft's doing, Aegia can be ruled out now that they have been bought by Nvidia I think.
            Digg it

Comment

• Maybe we all need to send Mark Rein an email expressing our disapointment with the lack of Linux support for Unreal Tournament 3:

[email protected]

Comment

• Heh... I'm wondering if the holdup is due to something a bit more simple. Something that would definitely count as being silly/stupid beyond words. Don't attribute to malice what could be attributed to stupid circumstances.

What if OpenAL was the cause of the problem?

This is not saying that it was. However...

The SI we have in hand stinks. Right now, it's not being very well implemented. In fact, it's twitchy at best on at least the Linux side of things. What if they had a version of the OpenAL derived from the current Creative source tree (which is closed) and couldn't get permission to use that version from them for the Linux side of things. You'd be left tapdancing around all the problems and some of the missing add-ons that came with the 1.1 version updates.

I dunno... I can't say that this is the cause. It'd definitely be a middleware problem and definitely would fall under "You wouldn't believe it if I told you"...

Why did I post this?

Heh... At least it beats speculating about Microsoft seeing to us not getting the thing- paranoia doesn't do us any good anyhow. Even if they did that.

Comment

• If most games drop in price several months after being launched, arent't Epic losing money from potential linux gamers waiting for the linux client to be released? Because the game could be already dropped in price the day that linux client is out.
                  Last edited by marakaid; 06 March 2008, 11:13 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by marakaid View Post
                    If most games drop in price several months after being launched, arent't Epic losing money from potential linux gamers waiting for the linux client to be released? Because the game could be already dropped in price the day that linux client is out.
                    Heh... Drop in the bucket until it hits the bargain bins. There's a lot of us, sure- more than they envision. But we're not large enough as a whole to amount to more than a 15% or so loss overall had they shipped it when they expected to. We rate enough to merit an official/unofficial version relatively close to the release date, because they'll see real money either way, out of us.

Comment

• This is the same thing that happened to Serious Sam 2 for Linux. Croteam was excited about releasing a Linux client and they even did an interview about it and then all of a sudden they yanked support and not only did not give an explanation as to why the project was canned but went on to completely ignore the Linux community. No one (as far as I know) knows why Serious Sam 2 Linux client never came out. Specially after it was in RC2 status.

These game companies are yanking Linux support left and right (Neverwinter Nights 2 anyone?) and they refuse to even bring it up anymore. It's like they are being paid off or something. I bet ID software ends up doing the same thing. No one reaches RC2 status with a client and just drops support for no reason at all unless something more sinister happens.

Comment

Working...
                      X