Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATi Catalyst crashes after 2 entrances into X.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For power management with a modern kernel, go to :

... and scroll down to the end of the page.
    Test signature

Comment

... and check posts 26/27 of this thread for picking up the Gallium3D version of Mesa.

I don't think the actual file names mention gallium, it's just the mesa driver built with different options.
      Test signature

Comment

Changing that the power_method file to dynpm did nothing but make my screen flicker every few seconds until I restarted. I consume just as much power as before, and in addition Compiz stopped working when I installed the libgl1-mesa-swx11-dbg package.

I would also like to add that it was located in /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_method and not /sys/class/drm/card-0/device/power_method
        I doubt that means anything though, but yeah. I scratched my head a few times when trying to open it with the command line before I realized! =P

I also get
        glxinfo | grep rend:
        direct rendering: Yes
        OpenGL renderer string: Mesa X11
        GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_NV_depth_clamp, GL_NV_fragment_program,

So obviously I don't have Gallium3D yet, either.
        I dunno what I'm doing wrong. I'm kindda new to experimenting with drivers.

Comment

I don't think I have ever seen that renderer string before, so it's probably either really new or really old. Hopefully someone recognizes it.

If dynpm isn't working for you try the profiles. Mid usually works pretty well for most people.
          Test signature

Comment

Alright, purged the PPA and removed it.

Liking the kernel upgrade though, but seriously - I'll have to look further at this when I actually have the time, because it wasn't working.

Why couldn't I just have NVIDIA? *sob* Would make life so much easier right now.

Oh well - it turns out my wireless just broke (eth0 spontaneously disappears) and that requires a mainboard replacement, AND I still have warranty.

Maybe, just maybe, I'll come out as the winner after all.

EDIT: Alright will try that (phew 1 minute )

Comment

Okay so I downgraded the drivers and changed that file. And now I definitely notice a difference I think. I haven't really been running long enough to know for sure but the computer seems to generate much, much less heat and cools off (aka noises) far more rarely. The battery monitor is also going down about twice as slow, which is roughly what I expected.

I set it to low, and it hasn't caused any issues (despite what the page said. I knew I could fix it back to med if the display stopped working using safe mode)

Anywho, I think it's getting there. Thanks so much.

Comment

Now, I still can't play WoW on Linux.

Thankfully I do have Windows... though I don't like it! :< I'd much prefer being able to run it in Linux.

Well, maybe that will happen one day. Either the FGLRX 11.01 update, me getting an NVIDIA card, or this driver + Gallium3D producing some incredible results - depending on which comes first.

Gallium3D with DirectX9-11 + Radeon stability + Good OpenGL support + Power Management fixed...

Well, most of it is already done as far as I'm aware. (even though I'm failing to get it to work, but I'm a n00b) I sure hope it happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                  i don't unterstand why? the xorgedgers ppa just have the better xorg/mesa file.

"d2kx:If you want to try r600g, there is the xorg-edgers/gallium PPA:
                  https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/radeon"

means if you use that PPA you get the Galium3D 3D part in the mesa.
                  Adding the ppa breaks my packages.
                  True story.

As soon as I installed and upgraded a few of them, I was told about brokeb packages and that compiz-dev needed to be removed. So I did. Then Compiz stopped working. (Obviously) Then I tried to reinstall Compiz and now I had like 40 graphics related broken packages.

In addition, my renderer string did not show up with Gallium3D, but with something not even Bridgman recognizes.

That, to me, spells "fucked up the core" - and since I have an exam tomorrow, I decided to get rid of it before it really damaged my system.

you can stop that we allready know that... easier do also mean you learn nothing.
                  Well... that's true... >_>

Comment

Besides, this is definitely working. My computer hasn't attempted to cool off for like 10 minutes now and the battery charge is going down so slowly I barely even notice. It says I have 2? hours left with 50% battery charge remaining. Before, I got 1? hour on the entire battery.
                    Dang them powerhungry GPU's. Dang them, I say!

Comment

because you purge the xorg-edgers ppa and for general most games in wine need s3tc support so you need to compile your own s3tc support.
                      Nahh, it didn't work with the ppa either.
                      That ppa just broke everything for me. I have never seen anything like it since I tried to add T. S. Barne's repository for the Ubuntu AppMenu. Oh man, that was terrible! >.<

do you mean good or fast openGL support ?

i think galium3D isn't ready yet for dx10/11 in wine.

i think amd will invest more time on power managment if the fusion is shipt in 2011
                      Both. They usually come quite hand-in-hand.
                      Anywho, I don't think so either. THat's why I said it the way I did - I hope it will happen someday.

And that sounds great about the fusion thing, but there's a far shorter way to go for FGLRX - it just needs to fix the myriad of glaring, stupid bugs it has going on. (Can't minimize full-screen windows, tons of missing features from OpenGL 3+, crashes after 2 entrances into X, no AA, no VSync, no XvBA, the list goes on...)

Comment

Working...
                      X