No announcement yet.

Radeon UVD Support Going Through Code Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's funny that you remember those things because I never said them, at least not in the "stitch words together to make new sentences" way you describe.

Let's have a new rule, courtesy xkcd as always :

When you claim I said something, include a link to where I said it so people can see what I *really* said. That should keep the wacky factor down.
    Last edited by bridgman; 16 March 2012, 11:29 PM.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      It's funny that you remember those things because I never said them, at least not in the "stitch words together to make new sentences" way you describe.

When you claim I said something, include a link to where I said it so people can see what I *really* said. That should keep the wacky factor down.
      Shouldn't you photoshop the picture so the american flag is a german one?

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
        hints in a world of censorship and NDAs hints is all you can make without betray yourself.

and they it doesn't matter what you really try to say the only point matters is what the people read in your messages.
        And what I'm reading in bridgman's messages has never matched what you've been claiming.
        all these market-share calculation people are just SICK! based on this knowledge argumentation against linux based on the market share is Sick!

your company only run a small linux driver team because of the market share and this is just sick!

because they calculate in the same sick way!

how to calculate the marketshare is a dirty little secret if a linux user pops up they ignore him and tell him that they put money based on the market share this means not not linux!
        I run Linux (except for maybe a couple hours every few months, plus time on University computers), and I know several other people who do.
        But I'm not going to claim that Linux market share is better than ~2% in segments that actually need a good, large GPU like AMD puts out.

Why?
        Because I don't see any evidence for this. I don't see even 2% usage in the library or any other area that's "representative".
        Go to a public library or something similar, and see if you can tell who's running Linux and who's running Windows.
        After a week, tell us how many you counted for each.

And if by some chance you're saying that it's sick for AMD to go by actual market share, you can go think about what you're saying.

BTW:
        Anti-gun-"control", anti-Digital-Wrongs-Management.
        I have the right to keep and bear arms.
        I have the right to buy and use content.
        I haven't exercised either, yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_adoption

"In 2009 Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer indicated that Linux had a greater desktop market share than Mac, stating that in recent years Linux had "certainly increased its share somewhat". Just under a third of all Dell netbook sales in 2009 had Linux installed.[51]

Caitlyn Martin, researching retail market numbers in the summer of 2010 also concluded that the traditional numbers mentioned for Linux desktop adoption were far too low:

It seems like almost every day someone in the tech press or someone commenting in a technical forum will claim that Linux adoption on the desktop (including laptops) is insignificant. The number that is thrown around is 1%. These claims are even repeated by some who advocate for Linux adoption. Both the idea that Linux market share on the desktop is insignificant and the 1% figure are simply false and have been for many years...Where does the 1% number come from? There are two sources: very old data and web counters. The problem with using web counters to try and ascertain market share is that they generally only include websites that have paid to be counted. That pretty much guarantees that Windows will be overcounted.
          ?Caitlyn Martin[51]"

this means linux do have ~10% market share on the desktop
          Not at all, I said!

Comment

Dear AMD open source driver team,

I'd like to thank you for a few things:

- writing the drivers!
            - consistently trying to get us some open source UVD support.
            - your continued engagement with the Phoronix community.
            - putting up with inflammatory comments from the people whom you are trying to help.
            - explaining why things are the way they are: not just dumping code on the open source community.

I don't think you get the credit you deserve, so please remember that there are people (quiet ones) who appreciate what you do. If I ever meet you in person, I should like to buy you many rounds of beer :-)

Comment

Thanks for standing with THE OUTLAWS!

Originally posted by archibald View Post

• writing the drivers!
              • consistently trying to get us some open source UVD support.
              • your continued engagement with the Phoronix community.
              • putting up with inflammatory comments from the people whom you are trying to help.
              • explaining why things are the way they are: not just dumping code on the open source community.

I don't think you get the credit you deserve, so please remember that there are people (quiet ones) who appreciate what you do. If I ever meet you in person, I should like to buy you many rounds of beer :-)
              I second that.
              You guys are doing a phenomenal job under the circumstances and I really hate to see all your efforts constantly crippled by crap called Digital Restrictions Malware.
              It's killing me to see everyone who wants to be free branded as HERETIC TROUBLEMAKER by the tyrants and mocked by the herd of sheeple around, because freedom is human nature.
              It's obnoxious to be bullied for simply demanding something you have natural right for.
              Thanks for doing what you can for the modern "OUTLAWS" that we all are.
              Last edited by ?John?; 17 March 2012, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by archibald View Post

- writing the drivers!
                - consistently trying to get us some open source UVD support.
                - your continued engagement with the Phoronix community.
                - putting up with inflammatory comments from the people whom you are trying to help.
                - explaining why things are the way they are: not just dumping code on the open source community.

+100500!!!

Comment

awesome news!

that's great to hear! is there any possibility at all that this will work on AMD APU's and Radeon HD 6000 series?

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

You mean this post? GCN is next generation, isn't it?

Comment

Hello, I think that we should abandon UVD, now is old and does not support hi10p, I like to use shaders to decoder
                      Last edited by Vincenzov; 19 March 2012, 04:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X