Catalyst Control Center not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catalyst Control Center not working

Ever since the first version of amdcccle was released, I've tried to run it on my ThinkPad, and it's never worked. amdcccle simply hangs on the command line, printing no output and showing no windows.

System information:
    - Lenovo ThinkPad T60p
    - ATI Mobility FireGL V5200
    - Gentoo Linux (currently using X.org 7.3/1.4, but the problem has been around since at least 7.2/1.2.)

Also, aticonfig seems to hang unless I specify "DISPLAY=''" when running it. I'm thinking this is related to the amdcccle problem.

Any ideas on how to get amdcccle to work?

I had the same problem.

I just tried and recompiled X.Org without xcb feature (deactivate the "xcb" USE-Flag and do a "emerge -avuND world"). Guess what, now amdcccle runs fine here

BTW, I experienced some problems (could not get apps like compiz or googleearth running etc.) with 8.42 and X.Org 7.3 (xorg-server-1.4), that went away after downgrading to 7.2 (xorg-server-1.3). 8.42 seems to like xserver 1.3 a lot better.

I'm still busy trying different versions, configs etc. with 8.42, but to be honest, I think I like it (in contrast to many other people here ;-). When used without compiz (but still with AIGLX and composite enabled), it works for me, without any real showstoppers and with better 3D performance than ever before.

8.42 + AIGLX + compiz it is much slower than previous drivers + XGL + compiz, and basically unusable because of the problems already discussed (slow firefox scrolling, flashing / tearing video and games output etc.). But, hey, there's AIGLX at least. even if it looks really "alpha" and buggy ATM when used with compiz.

So, for compiz eyecandy I need to downgrade to 8.40 + XGL, but for everything else 8.42 is very usable for me.

Comment

Can't get amdcccle to work here too, but it's a diferent problem:
      HTML Code:
      KTPORTLin:/home/kmz # amdcccle
      amdcccle: xcb_xlib.c:52: xcb_xlib_unlock: Assertion `c->xlib.lock' failed.
      Aborted
      openSUSE10.3 (xorg 7.2, 2.22.9 kernel)
      Msi M635 laptop
      ATI X700 mobile

Comment

Originally posted by kmolazz View Post
        Can't get amdcccle to work here too, but it's a diferent problem:
        HTML Code:
        KTPORTLin:/home/kmz # amdcccle
        amdcccle: xcb_xlib.c:52: xcb_xlib_unlock: Assertion `c->xlib.lock' failed.
        Aborted
        No. It's the same problem
        A X.Org server compiled without xcb support (using old XLib instead) should allow you to run amdcccle.
        But without xcb you have to kiss compiz goodby, so choose wisely

Comment

i guess i can live without the amdcccle
          so this is a driver problem?

Comment

Originally posted by kmolazz View Post
            so this is a driver problem?
            I think it's in the driver's and/or amdcccle's "communication" with X. AFAIK xcb is stricter about when/how/who/how long/... clients can lock resources/datastructs etc.

So, if we agree that amdcccle can be seen part of the "driver" (as released by AMD/ATI), then yes, I assume it 's a problem with the driver doing some "un-clean" locking. But it's closed source, so who knows ...
            Last edited by Snake; 26 October 2007, 08:18 AM.

Comment

I've rebuilt libX11 without xcb support and LD_PRELOAD it when starting amdcccle.
              This way everything else still uses the xcb enabled libX11. Seems to work pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by chefkoch View Post
                I've rebuilt libX11 without xcb support and LD_PRELOAD it when starting amdcccle.
                This way everything else still uses the xcb enabled libX11. Seems to work pretty well.
                Hey, what a clever workaround Tried that, seems to work perfectly.

For those running Gentoo here is a quick HOWTO:
                1. Determine your currently installed libX11 version:
                  $ emerge -pv libX11

2. Build the same libX11 without xcb support, e.g.:
                  $ USE="-xcb" ebuild /usr/portage/x11-libs/libX11/libX11-1.1.2-r1.ebuild install

3. Copy the "non-xcb" libX11 to some "safe" place, e.g.:
                  $ cp /var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/libX11-1.1.2-r1/image/usr/lib64/libX11.so.* ~

4. Run amdcccle
                  $ LD_PRELOAD=~/libX11.so.6 amdcccle

You may have to adjust the paths as needed, but I think you get the general idea.

But, this bug should still be fixed for the next version. "Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam"

Comment

Thanks,

with your HowTo (adapted to RPMBUILD instructions) I could build libX11 without xcb and now amdcccle (aticonfig should also) works on my openSUSE 10.3 32bit.

Spooky

Comment

little HowTo for openSUSE 10.3 32-bit (based on Snake's HOWTO)

1. Download xorg-x11-libX11-7.2-75.src.rpm

2. Open a console window as user not as root
                    Code:
                    rpm -Uvh xorg-x11-libX11-7.2-75.src.rpm
                    3. Now you can find file "xorg-x11-libX11.spec" at /usr/src/packages/SPECS

alter these 2 lines:
                    Code:
                    %define xcb [color=red]0[/color]

[color=red]#[/color] rm -rf "$RPM_BUILD_ROOT"
                    To prevent misunderstanding, these 2 lines already exists (line 15 and 163) in xorg-x11-libX11.spec. Only alter the red marked area. Don't add these lines to xorg-x11-libX11.spec!

4. Read the "# usedforbuild aaa_base ..." area at the top of spec file and check if you have all packages to build a new rpm.

5. build the rpm packages

Code:
                    rpmbuild -ba /usr/src/packages/SPECS/xorg-x11-libX11.spec
                    6. After that, there are a new directory "/var/tmp/xorg-x11-libX11-7.2-build/". From there you can copy the needed file. For example:

Code:
                    cp /var/tmp/xorg-x11-libX11-7.2-build/usr/lib/libX11.s* ~/
                    7. Try amdcccle
                    Code:
                    LD_PRELOAD=~/libX11.so.6 amdcccle
                    8. If all runs fine , you can remove the temp directory.

Code:
                    rm -r /var/tmp/xorg-x11-libX11-7.2-build
                    Good Luck,

Spooky
                    Last edited by Spooky; 07 November 2007, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X