Lexmark's Linux Secret

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by squirrl View Post
    I'm excited that they are brave enough to put the Penguin on their box.
    It's a sign that Microsoft is loosening their grip on the economy.

Kooka is the best scanner software I've used. It's KDE 3.5, so you have to have the old library support. You probably don't need it. The device is smart enough.

For instances I use my HTC/Android Phone for a lot of stuff. It's got wifi so I wonder if I can print to one of these.

I was at bestbuy and saw where most are shipping with bluetooth.
    Now if we see more Tux-approved devices then that be sweet

Comment

I see no one's mentioned Epsons Linux drivers which are available from http://avasys.jp/eng/

I'm not sure why they're not more prominently displayed from their main websites but thankfully they provide solid support for not only their multi-functions but also their range of scanners.

My current printer's a Canon which I purchased because of its impressive print quality and speed which were my main priorities. Unfortunately the Canon drivers don't support CD printing for Linux though which is about the only fault I can think of with them. The machine didn't have a built in scanner because of my intention to get something of higher quality than that which is usually included in the multi-function printers. When looking at discrete scanners I found that Canon provide no Linux support though which led me onto Epson. I was quite surprised to see the level of support they provide for their hardware on Linux which seems amazingly good. Not surprisingly I ended up with an Espon scanner which I must say I'm very happy with.

When my brother was looking for a multi-function printer for his Windows laptop we went with the Canon MP-640 which is also a really good piece of kit. There wasn't any need for it to be compatible with Linux as there weren't any Linux machines in his home at the time and so that wasn't one of the purchase criteria but when I gave my mum a netbook running Ubuntu Netbook Remix we found that the printer and scanner functions were really well supported over Wi-Fi from it with Canons official drivers. It would seem that Linux is starting to get a very welcome glut of hardware support directly from vendors themselves.

Comment

I have a HP Deskjet printer. It's horrible, paper always gets stuck and the proprietary ink cartridges are really expensive but despite that the printer is always purging its ink, or "cleaning the nozzles" or something like that as HP calls it.

I don't expect Lexmark to be any better though, Inkjet printers are probably the biggest racket in consumer electronics. So I can see why they would want to expand their profitable business to Linux.

Comment

Brother's Linux support is generally very good. They offer RPM and DEB packages, support Postscript and license their drivers under the GPL.

Comment

Originally posted by peepingtom View Post
            Brother's Linux support is generally very good. They offer RPM and DEB packages, support Postscript and license their drivers under the GPL.

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com.../en/index.html
            Sorry, but that is completely not true. All brother offers source code for is the cups wrapper. The actual printer drivers are LPR and binary only. And the same applies to scanner drivers, binary only.

I have a Brother DCP315CN, and while printing works with Fedora 12 and the binary drivers, scanning (network attached, I have not tried USB attached) is a sure way to crash gnome-scan.

The printer is starting to act up, and I am thinking of replacing it sometime in the near future. And that replacement may well be a HP, even though I hate their price gauging on ink.

Comment

Too bad it was a secret.

Along with Linux support (ideally open source out-of-the-box support), what I care most about are the ink/toner cartridges not having proprietary evil gimmicks like counting the number of pages and then refusing to work, and instead having a method of refilling it with your choice of toner/ink easily. It is for that reason my current printer is a Konica Minolta, as third-party refill kits for them are sold right in stores.

Combine those two things, plus decent quality, and you have +3 to your customer base here. ^^

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                I have a HP Deskjet printer. It's horrible, paper always gets stuck and the proprietary ink cartridges are really expensive but despite that the printer is always purging its ink, or "cleaning the nozzles" or something like that as HP calls it.

I don't expect Lexmark to be any better though, Inkjet printers are probably the biggest racket in consumer electronics. So I can see why they would want to expand their profitable business to Linux.
                Fully agreed, and if Lexmark is like HP, they can kiss off too, never buying another HP printer. HP is really Dell-quality any how now days sadly. I bought a $600 HP printer which just sucked, it was crappy quality, noisy, and I promptly returned it along with their printer cartridge racket scheme.

Support printer makers like Konica Minolta that have third-party refill kits available, even in-store here. Our printer is a color laserjet that was only $150. It's not the best of quality, and lacks shiny features, and didn't have the greatest Linux support, but still.

I'm interested in any sellers who offer consumer-friendly Linux-supported decent quality printers. Consumer-friendly meaning you don't try to screw them over and instead give them ample doses of freedom to let them do what they want. It IS their printer, after all.

Comment

By the way, it's on NewEgg here, but fails to mention Linux support. NewEgg does seem to be a bit of a Microsoft whore though.

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
                    By the way, it's on NewEgg here, but fails to mention Linux support. NewEgg does seem to be a bit of a Microsoft whore though.
                    I agree. I only buy computers/laptops/netbooks with Linux preinstalled, and I still need to find one in newegg. Actually, I think I spotted one or two in the past, but it's been rare.

In the meantime, the Phoronix article (unintentionally) spreading FUD is still hanging there.Ballmer's gonna love it.

Repeat with me: you don't support Linux with a CD of binary only drivers. You do it upstream, and you give the source. My HP's just work, because of that.

On the Inkjet subject, I totally agree with others. It's a big scam. My quick recommendation is: if you need an All In One printer for occasional use, go for a cheap inkjet. If you are going to print frequently, go for Laser. Only do color if you really need it. Print your pictures with a web service. And be happy

Comment

Originally posted by Rob72 View Post
                      Sorry, but that is completely not true. All brother offers source code for is the cups wrapper. The actual printer drivers are LPR and binary only. And the same applies to scanner drivers, binary only.

I have a Brother DCP315CN, and while printing works with Fedora 12 and the binary drivers, scanning (network attached, I have not tried USB attached) is a sure way to crash gnome-scan.

The printer is starting to act up, and I am thinking of replacing it sometime in the near future. And that replacement may well be a HP, even though I hate their price gauging on ink.
                      while I agree with anyone saying that the BR-Script3 drivers are not on par concerning performance and the "binary" drivers are NOT opensource or GPL - the BR-Script3 drivers / PPDs certainly ARE release under GPL !

Comment

Working...
                      X