Radeon Open-Source Performance Over Three Years, Compared To Catalyst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
    dota 2 on my HD 7950 (SI driver) works fine for me, all settings maxed out. Maybe you have to update your kernel (3.13.5) or mesa (10.0.2). And mesa 10.1 is just around the corner...
    7870 all git my friend. Well ati-dri was subversion Then again your card is a bit beefier. I have faith that performance will come up.

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
      I don't know about Dota2, but my 7850 can run Portal 2 just fine with all settings maxed, on kernel 3.13.5 and mesa 10.1 rc3. Only problem: no AA.
      sorry for the double reply...
      Yeah it runs l4d2 at around 40-80 fps depending (far cry from the 300 catalyst spits out but smoother non the less, no stuttering more responsive ) at max settings full HD. It just handles DOTA2 like crap for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
        7870 all git my friend. Well ati-dri was subversion Then again your card is a bit beefier. I have faith that performance will come up.
        maybe try stable versions. I had some bad experiences with mesa-git quite often. Like games that won?t start or render badly...sometimes regressions in performance were also observed in michaels benchmarks.
        By the way is HyperZ disabled in mesa 10.1 for radeonSI or just r600?

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
          By the way is HyperZ disabled in mesa 10.1 for radeonSI or just r600?
          For both http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...afe60faff48d84

BTW 10.1 is out http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ch/000077.html

Comment

This testing does continue show for those who have long told companies "just release docs or code to the community!" and then believe a driver will magically happen that's made by the open-source community and on-par with the binary blobs, it's not that easy, even for a six year old graphics processor.
            I dont agree to that statement, because it implies that you compare drivers only by their gaming-speed. But for many people that is not that important.

FGLRX:
            200% Speed
            0% Freedom
            80-90% Stability

Radeon:
            100% Speed
            100% Freedom
            99.99 Stability
            - Wayland can be used

I think Radeon is not on-par but on-top of the Blob.

And another thing, its not that AMD released on Day X the complete Docs for the gpus, I am not even shure if everything that docs exist on is released. Or what people need. Especialy on the newer cards.

When I think on the vdpau stuff, that could have been done much faster if the docs needed for it would be released several years earlier.

Comment

All I can say is that my Radeon HD 4670 on the radeon driver has been sufficient for my needs for almost three years, and it has only gotten better and better within that time.

Comment

I was hoping SteamOS would prompt AMD into releasing the 13.9 legacy driver for Linux.

Nice to see how much the open source drivers have progressed however.

Comment

Originally posted by Vulkan View Post
                  I was hoping SteamOS would prompt AMD into releasing the 13.9 legacy driver for Linux.

Nice to see how much the open source drivers have progressed however.
                  Won't happen. Sell the card to a non-gamer. Or remain screwed if it's your laptop graphics, like in my case

I've installed a LXDE based Fedora 18 for gaming, with Catalyst legacy 13.1 (downgraded xorg, to 1.12). I'd really like to re-build it but... I just don't feel like it anymore. Downgrading xorg is a PITA for a noob. I'll just restore the backup image and let the grub and os-prober bring it to life for me.

Anyway, on HD3650 Catalyst legacy 13.1 eats OSS Radeon for breakfast. Only thanks to Catalyst I was able to enjoy >smooth< gameplay of Portal, Amnesia TDD and TF2. With OSS it would all be an ordeal. So to summarize the article: Newsflash. Elvis is still dead.

Comment

Given that the drivers were left running with default settings and no alterations, I'm left with a few questions, but mostly: at this point, is there a timeframe for enabling geometry shaders and HyperZ for R600/R700 hardware by default? I expect the lack of HyperZ is holding things back by 20-30% on average. Figuring out how to work around whatever glitches or quirks are present in the hardware so that can be enabled would close a LOT of the speed gap between the fglrx and Gallium drivers by itself.

Comment

Just checked catalyst 13.1 on Linux vs 13.9 on Windows. The latter runs Portal 2 faster than the first one runs Portal 1. Hd3650, 256 MB RAM.

Comment

Working...
                      X