Fgrlx 11.11, wine and 2d acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fgrlx 11.11, wine and 2d acceleration

Can anyone tell me if the experience with the latest fgrlx is good and problem free?
    I'm interested in knowing the experience running games under wine compared to nvidia,
    if there are issues with dual-monitor setup and also if flash-acceleration and video acceleration is working .

up to flash 10.3 there was accellerated rendering working with fglrx (using an override even with oss drivers), now that is only possible with flash 11.2 (+ override) and vdpau. accellerated decode is only possible with vdpau. this works with flash 11.1 too. however using that vdpau accelleration can lead to an instable system. fglrx has got no vdpau accelleration thats clear, so be sure your cpu is fast enough.

i would not count on running current d3d games using wine, no matter what card you have got. its much faster is to use those games natively on win (well when those games need much raw speed, wine is slow by definition). opengl games should work fairly well, but there are only a few available.

well you last point with 2d accelleration depends on view. when you think that 2d acc includes xv then it is broken with xserver 1.11 currently as that will crash the xserver. if it can render you favorite desktop environment correctly depends on personal preference. most of the time current DE work in 3d mode so 2d acc is less important. often oss drivers work better for standard usage just not for games.

as fglrx does not support vdpau the only way to use native video accelleration is currently a xvba-video vaapi wrapper. this works ok with xbmc when you don't want to decode h264 5.1, it only works up to h264 4.1.

if you did not buy an amd card already get something else, if you have it already well then you have to live with some drawbacks.
    Last edited by Kano; 11 December 2011, 09:04 PM.

Comment

About games in wine: I have to say that the one I play, play very well. No noticeable difference with window (it's even better consider the fact I have a dual monitor setup and how wine handle the virtualized desktop),
      thought they are all at least 4 years old.

Your answer was very exhaustive, I guess I'll stick with nvidia.

Comment

Well I hope the amd opensource drivers will catch up with nvidia closed ones very soon in terms of performances (I read they're in a very advanced state in terms of features), but until
        then I have no choice than rely on closed drivers.

Comment

@Qaridarium

I dont consider nouveau oss drivers worse than radeon. It would be unfair as well as the devs need extra time to reverse engineer the chips. But not everything is optimal with ati as well when you look at latest chips or the hdmi sound problems. In both cases like amd hd 5+ hdmi sound and nouveau reverse engineering was needed. But i have got the feeling that gamers usually want full speed and will not use oss drivers anyway even if they have got so fast cpus that the lack of video decode accelleration is not important.

Comment

Working...
          X