Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3850 hangs for a short time

Hi!

I got my first ATI card and i am pretty pleased (fast driver installation etc.) but there is one great problem:

Every 5-10 Seconds the screen freezes for 400-800ms. It does not matter if i am playing WC3 with wine or just surf the web using firefox. And i am not using compiz or something similar - just a plain 2D Desktop.

I have ~17k fps/5sec glxgears.

Driver version is 7.12
    OS is gentoo with 2.6.23
    WM is KDE 3.5.7
    VGA is a 3850 256MB version - unmodified

I tested some xorg.conf settings but nothing helped.
    The only unnormal DMESG is:
    [fglrx:firegl_free_mutex] *ERROR* mutex id 0x00000022 not found in mutex list

mutex objects are normally for thread sync and stuff like that. The error appears just a few times while the freezes are some hundrets/hour. Anyone out there who can help out?

There is someone else experiencing the same but also no solution:
    Technical support and discussion of the open-source AMD Radeon graphics drivers.
    Last edited by cleric; 09 January 2008, 01:25 PM.

Using the 7.11 drivers (can't stand 7.12 and the lack of WS support) and the card works fine. A lot of mutex errors thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
      Using the 7.11 drivers (can't stand 7.12 and the lack of WS support) and the card works fine. A lot of mutex errors thought.
      That wont help me because

a) i dont even know if my card works with that driver

b) the opengl memleak is too big

Comment

Originally posted by cleric View Post
        That wont help me because

a) i dont even know if my card works with that driver

b) the opengl memleak is too big
        I have the same card and it works. I never experienced any mem leaks with neither my 200M, my old x1950xt, or this card (I guess I'm one of the lucky ones). The driver with this card is a bit slow compared to the 7.12, which leads me to believe that most of the optimizations for these cards did not start until the 7.12 driver. Either way, I'm playing Nezuis @ 1680x1050 with everything on with an average frame rate of 80. Compiz works fine too, except for mipmaps.

Comment

I will check that out today.

Comment

Working...
          X