MythTV 0.24 Brings A New OSD, HD Audio, Blu-ray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
    Gstreamer can use ffmpeg as backend, and so far supports VDPAU and CrystalHD accelerations.
    I didn't have any luck getting crystalhd working through gstreamer. Probably glitches related to the newer 970015 chip, I understand that the 970012 works ok with it. The crystalhd plugin for xine-lib 1.2 works amazing though

I don't see much use for gstreamer. How many media players actually use it? Totem is one, but totem blows goat.

Now... this new mythtv's release notes show "experimental crystalhd support". So cool! Unfortunately, it links to a page that hasn't been updated yet, so no telling HOW to make it work. Interesting thing about mythtv is that it says that the 970012 is not supported (actually disabled in code) -- the way it is worded suggests that the 970015 *does* work, since it refers to the 970012 as "the older". Good news for me

Definitely going to have to try this out.

Comment

Originally posted by williamthrilliam View Post
      I think people really need to put "Non-DRM Blu-ray support" when talking about Blu-ray in Linux.
      I think people need to know what they're talking about when suggesting what words others should use. Myth's Blu-ray support supports all encrypted discs which libaacs and libbdplus support the decryption of.

At risk of sounding smug, I should know, I wrote the abovereferenced code.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
        I was getting excited then, I wonder when full bluray support will be available on Linux without jiggery pokery
        Feel free to continue to be excited. The person you replied to is uninformed. Not *all* discs can be decrypted, and libbdplus isn't technically public (meaning you can't decrypt some recent fox discs yet, and some of the very newest discs don't have a publicly available key) but decryption of Blu-ray is both a reality, and usable in Myth. All of my discs play just fine (though admittedly they are not brand-new discs).

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
          I didn't have any luck getting crystalhd working through gstreamer. Probably glitches related to the newer 970015 chip, I understand that the 970012 works ok with it. The crystalhd plugin for xine-lib 1.2 works amazing though

I don't see much use for gstreamer. How many media players actually use it? Totem is one, but totem blows goat.

Now... this new mythtv's release notes show "experimental crystalhd support". So cool! Unfortunately, it links to a page that hasn't been updated yet, so no telling HOW to make it work. Interesting thing about mythtv is that it says that the 970012 is not supported (actually disabled in code) -- the way it is worded suggests that the 970015 *does* work, since it refers to the 970012 as "the older". Good news for me

Definitely going to have to try this out.
          Yes, 970015 will work. We are working with broadcom to address some deficiencies in their lib. In extreme short, get the newest version of the libcrystalhd code from Jarod Wilson's git repository, compile and install it, and configure and compile myth with --enable-crystalhd. Then just choose Crystal HD as the decoder, and whichever renderer you like (OpenGL, VDPAU, etc) and go.

Comment

This is news to me and needs to be widely circulated if true as people commonly attack Linux over its lack of encrypted BD playback support.

I don't actually have a BD drive to test with but can the latest versions of VLC, smplayer etc. play encrypted Blu-Ray discs now? Using the standard versions in the buntu 10.10 repos??

Comment

Looks like iamlindoro mostly answered my question as I was posting but can we expect libbdplus to make its way into 11.04 or will it be excluded on legal grounds?

Comment

Originally posted by danboid View Post
                This is news to me and needs to be widely circulated if true as people commonly attack Linux over its lack of encrypted BD playback support.

I don't actually have a BD drive to test with but can the latest versions of VLC, smplayer etc. play encrypted Blu-Ray discs now? Using the standard versions in the buntu 10.10 repos??
                Heh, "if true."

libaacs (hosted at the videolan project) has been public for many months, and I had MythTV working with it for many months before that with a private copy. libaacs handles the decryption of aacs encryption on Blu-ray discs when provided with MKB processing keys. Currently, processing keys for AACS up to MKB version 10 are available, meaning myth + libaacs + a keydb.cfg file with processing keys can play back any disc up to about mid-2009 straight off the disc with no problem. This includes every disc I own. When processing keys for later versions of MKB become available, it's simply a matter of dropping them in the keydb.cfg file and myth automatically gains support for playing those titles off the disc.

libbdplus is currently still private, but MythTV works fine with that, too. Libbdplus will decrypt those discs containing BD+ encryption (most Fox releases). When that becomes public, and a user installs it, it will add decryption support for those titles in MythTV too.

I cannot speak to VLC or mplayer's implementations of libbluray, but last I was aware they did not support using libaacs/libbdplus yet, but I believe that was mostly out of desire to get baseline support working. The changes to make them work with it are/would be trivial. they may already have made them.

So, basically, the engine is all there, and for a vast majority of released discs (including almost all discs older than about a year to a year and a half old) it works just fine, today, straight off the disc. And adding support for new discs is just a matter of some enterprising individual figuring out what the processing keys are for newer versions of MKB.

Comment

Originally posted by danboid View Post
                  Looks like iamlindoro mostly answered my question as I was posting but can we expect libbdplus to make its way into 11.04 or will it be excluded on legal grounds?
                  libbdplus only pertains to those discs encrypted with BD+, which is a small proportion of all discs. The majority of discs are AACS only.

I can't tell you what Ubuntu will do, compiling a library is not hard though. libbdplus would need to be made public first, though. libaacs, on the other hand, which works just fine on the majority of discs, is public, as are the processing keys through MKBv10.

Comment

Is there any other use for the keys than bluray playback on linux?
                    I just wonder if there's any other group with incentive to reveal those.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                      Is there any other use for the keys than bluray playback on linux?
                      I just wonder if there's any other group with incentive to reveal those.
                      libaacs/libbdplus compile on all platforms, not just linux. They're the key to F/OSS blu-ray ripping and playback period, not just for a minority.

Comment

Working...
                      X