Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sauerbraten Open-Source Update Is Still Cooking

Phoronix: The Sauerbraten Open-Source Update Is Still Cooking

There was supposed to be an update to Sauerbraten "Cube 2" in November, but that didn't happen in November or December. Fortunately, the major update to this long-standing open-source first person shooter is still forthcoming...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's 2013. We have this: http://media.multiplayer.it/thumbs/i...1400x0_q85.jpg

What are we even talking about here? This is a non news and that isn't a game. It's a good way for developers to learn and spend their time as a hobby. Nothing more, nothing less.

If such games were release for Linux we wouldn't even be here talking about such bullshit. But since such games don't exist, someone will say "I LOVE SAURBRAT, YOU'RE A TROLL BULLETXT GET OUT OF HERE, FUCK DRM, FUCK BIG COMPANIES, STOP CRYING AND GO BACK TO YOUR WINDOWS TOY. I WILL NEVER INSTALL SUCH DRM CRAP ON MY OS".

Yes that's fine, I can accept it.

Comment

Heh, nice trolling attempt, but you are totally missing the point.

Yes, commercial big budget game look better (and will always do so) than open-source (community developed) efforts... and that is logiscal and fine. Notice how there is a lack of OS singleplayer games like COD? That is because for those the commercial game industry can't be replaced (just like no-one tries to make the next Transformers movie in their basement).

However if you look at the hard-core multiplayer titles you will see that those most often played are usually very old titles that get continuesly refined and polished. Graphics (as long as they are at a certain minimum level) don't really matter that much in that realm, gameplay is all.
      Sure you will see commercial quality upgrades of those title (CS:Go, Dota2, Starcraft2 etc.), but more often than not, those fail at some crucial point and even when not, many people keep playing the old original.

Now, even though OS isn't yet the driving development model for most of those multiplayer classics, it fits very well and I am quite certain that ultimately the majority of the hard-core multiplayer titles will be OS driven. In fact, even for commercial development (e.g. release graphical updates and gameplay extensions as ransomware for payment from time to time, but stick with a common, community driven code base) it would be beneficial for those specific titles.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
        It's 2013. We have this: http://media.multiplayer.it/thumbs/i...1400x0_q85.jpg

What are we even talking about here? This is a non news and that isn't a game. It's a good way for developers to learn and spend their time as a hobby. Nothing more, nothing less.

If such games were release for Linux we wouldn't even be here talking about such bullshit. But since such games don't exist, someone will say "I LOVE SAURBRAT, YOU'RE A TROLL BULLETXT GET OUT OF HERE, FUCK DRM, FUCK BIG COMPANIES, STOP CRYING AND GO BACK TO YOUR WINDOWS TOY. I WILL NEVER INSTALL SUCH DRM CRAP ON MY OS".

Yes that's fine, I can accept it.
        Tesseract (let me bet you will mix both, you probably never played Sauerbraten or Tesseract) looks pretty good compared to some commercial games from a few years ago and you'll get more than 100FPS on a GTX690 (unlike CoD). It has real time lighting and you can easily make maps (unlike CoD).

Sauerbraten is actually fun. CoD isn't, has slow-as-hell gameplay, is proprietary and paid. It also does not run natively on Linux. Now, welcome to my "FOSS game hater" list which already has about 1,500 people.

Also, DRM suck and are only made to make more money (as if they don't have enough money).

Lastly, it's not like realistic FPSes which proliferate in the market are teaching good things to people.

Comment

How many users does CoD have, while having to pay for it and coming with DRM and being closed source, compared to sauerwhatever which is free/open source/whatever?
          Why do you think it happens? Because the users are morons who pay attention to much better graphics quality, which in your view aren't that better or not good at all?

Truth is, as the first commenter said, no matter how much common sense you talk biased people will never give in, and one doesn't need, the market talks.

Truth is, you can get more players even if your graphics sucks a lot more than AAA games, but, this only happens if you can compensate that with an exceptional game play, which sauerwhatever is not, or with something else that really matters a lot and is exceptional and sauerwhatever is not it either.

But sauerwhatever is a nice game to play for free, especially if you're biased against DRM etc, but it's just it, a pathetic game by todays standards that only succeeds in such a small niche "markets" of open source anti-DRM bigot paranoids.

And this is not an offense against its devs, it's an offense against those idiots who use extrapolation to claim it's competitive with CoD and the likes, or that it's even better. Games are sophisticated pieces of hard work and there's always something about any game that is better than in some other one which allows an asshole to claim "hence it's better".
          Last edited by mark45; 01 January 2013, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
            How many users does CoD have, while having to pay for it and coming with DRM and being closed source, compared to sauerwhatever which is free/open source/whatever?
            Why do you think it happens? Because the users are morons who pay attention to much better graphics quality, which in your view aren't that better or not good at all?

Truth is, as the first commenter said, no matter how much common sense you talk biased people will never give in, and one doesn't need, the market talks.

Truth is, you can get more players even if your graphics sucks a lot more than AAA games, but, this only happens if you can compensate that with an exceptional game play, which sauerwhatever is not, or with something else that really matters a lot and is exceptional and sauerwhatever is not it either.

But sauerwhatever is a nice game to play for free, especially if you're biased against DRM etc, but it's just it, a pathetic game by todays standards that only succeeds in such a small niche "markets" of open source anti-DRM bigot paranoids.

And this is not an offense against its devs, it's an offense against those idiots who use extrapolation to claim it's competitive with CoD and the likes, or that it's even better. Games are sophisticated pieces of hard work and there's always something about any game that is better than in some other one which allows an asshole to claim "hence it's better".
            Hi "Linux Gamer"!

Sorry, I'm a "FOSS Gamer".

CoD isn't fun because when you die, you have to wait 3 minutes until xXCaMpEr522Xx dies.
            In Sauerbraten you respawn almost instantly and the gameplay is much faster. It probably is more balanced than CoD too. Also, don't complain about your computer being slow since you had to buy CoD for 60 euros. You choose.

Originally posted by mark45
            the market talks
            So we should all use smartphones and tablets?

Originally posted by mark45
            a pathetic game by todays standards that only succeeds in such a small niche "markets" of open source anti-DRM bigot paranoids.
            CoD is, a pathetic game by today's standards that only succeeds in teaching people "war is Fun"?, making people more immature than they were and makes money for NVIDIA.

Comment

Really? (poker face)
              To highlight your open-source bigotry:
              Which closed source, DRM, non-free games are better than sauerwhatever?

Comment

Really? (poker face)
                To highlight your open-source bigotry:
                Which closed source, DRM, non-free games are better than sauerwhatever?
                None.
                (trollface)

Comment

Does anyone need any more proof it's worthless to argue with open source (or other types of) bigots?

Comment

Does anyone need any more proof it's worthless to argue with open source (or other types of) bigots?
                    Does anyone need any more proof it's worthless to argue with closed source (or other types of) bigots?

Comment

Working...
                    X