The X.Org Foundation Is Undecided About Mir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wayland -> XHtml 2.0 ?

This entire discussion reminds me of XHTML 2.0, which was determined to replace HTML 4 but then was halted due to HTML5 being developed independently and the W3C was eager to keep its monopole on web-standards. Is HTML5 better than XHTML 2.0? Definitely not, maybe even worse.

So, what teaches us this lesson learned years ago?

When a company starts developing a proprietary solution (for me, Mir is proprietary with the horrible license applied to it) and standards-faculties are feeling pushy to bring out their own solution or even try to implement the foreign solution, then I have to tell you that Canonical is just interested in their own profit and might not even care for a full-fledged solution for the GNU-operating system.

Please people, especially at X.org, open your eyes and do what you've been doing best: promoting Wayland, even though it might not have a multi-billion-dollar company behind it.

Comment

Originally posted by frign View Post
      for me, mir is proprietary with the horrible license applied to it
      gpl 3? .

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
        1) Lack of good input subsystem (befor you say, but Wayland DO have... It's NOW. Canonical decided BACK THEN. Everybody is wise after the fact.. )
        2) Putting shell into Wayland protocol. Where toolkits will support it. And where Canonical would need to rewrite it.
        3) Lack of interest in Android drivers, AMD/Nvidia binary drivers.
        4) All the advantages of creating something in house..
        5) Wayland being not ready.

Reasons where there. What I do not understand are people who ASSUME, that Canonical do something out of pure evilness, or selfishness. Or that they should work on project X, because they MUST.

Mir is FLOSS. Whatever they create Wayland can mimic it...
        Honestly I was just trying to see what e8hffff would say; most of the time it doesn't seem like he knows what he's talking about, so it'd have been amusing. I do think Canonical has a few decent reasons to develop Mir but I think it would've been better for everyone if they stuck with Wayland and tried to get what they want out of their own compositor and proposing changes to the code or writing some themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
          Wayland is clearly lacking and their team should be taking a step back and thinking how can they improve their algorithms and routines to better suit supporting more scope as Mir plans.

If Wayland is to be taken seriously, at the time Mir's release, Wayland should be able to do what Mir does, faster, and more. That's competition and innovation. People want that, so lets get away from these Sacred Cows.
          umm, wayland already does more than Mir..

Comment

Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
            gpl 3? .
            gpl3 is 1 licence and the other is the commercial license possible due to their CLA

Comment

Originally posted by omglotsofdots View Post
              Some idiots always talk about freedom and open-source if it suits ones book. They forget about ubuntu did what some radical ditros aging more than one or two decades couldnt .if they didnt secrtly develop mir and announce it six months ago they would find a way to hate whatever they does anyway. Lets accept that conanical know how to reach enduser . Linux user was known as the geekest creatures before ubuntu came in. Now its about to change but haters do what they do. If you block the mir with your jews lobbying like struggles dont even fckng say why linux isnt getting popular
              Wow, that is an excelling argument - barely legible, tired old sentiments, out and out insulting to everyone in the discussion, and it still manages to throw in some anti-antisemitism. It's magic!

Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
              What's with all these users with a total number of posts in the single digits being extremely defensive to Canonical, and extremely anti-Wayland?
              Indeed.

Please people, especially at X.org, open your eyes and do what you've been doing best: promoting Wayland, even though it might not have a multi-billion-dollar company behind it.
              I think calling Canonical a multi-billion-dollar company is quite a bit of a stretch, considering they have yet to even make a profit.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                gpl3 is 1 licence and the other is the commercial license possible due to their CLA
                Interesting. I've not come across this commercial licence. Does it actually exist or is it an hypothetical commercial licence that you are talking about?

I am genuinely interested in knowing.

Also, what would be wrong in offering the same product under a open source licence and a commercial licence?

If I remember correctly, that is what Digia does with Qt and it seems to work out fine for both sides (The business that is Digia and the open source community around Qt).

Comment

Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
                  Interesting. I've not come across this commercial licence. Does it actually exist or is it an hypothetical commercial licence that you are talking about?

I am genuinely interested in knowing.

Also, what would be wrong in offering the same product under a open source licence and a commercial licence?

If I remember correctly, that is what Digia does with Qt and it seems to work out fine for both sides (The business that is Digia and the open source community around Qt).
                  Before giving this unqualified reply to me, you should have read up on the facts: Canonical reserves itself the right to turn every open source-project including all contributions done under the GPL into a proprietary one at any time with its CLA applied to e.g. Mir.

If you want to commit to it you need to sign this CLA. That's why this project will never be "free" and should be abandoned asap. Everyone supporting this project is just feeding Canonical with his hard work with the risk of it becoming proprietary and "intellectual property".

Comment

Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
                    What's with all these users with a total number of posts in the single digits being extremely defensive to Canonical, and extremely anti-Wayland?
                    They are here to tell you that Linux could not even boot before Canonical blessed us with a dark GNOME theme and defined Linux as we know it.

Personally, I don't mind Ubuntu, but I don't like the direction Canonical has been taking -- isolationist, controlling, NIH.

In any case, absolutely nothing has changed for me since Ubuntu first arrived. But some of the newer converts who are only familiar with Ubuntu tend to be overprotective. They think Linux didn't exist before that

Comment

Before giving this unqualified reply to me, you should have read up on the facts: Canonical reserves itself the right to turn every open source-project including all contributions done under the GPL into a proprietary one at any time with its CLA applied to e.g. Mir.

If you want to commit to it you need to sign this CLA. That's why this project will never be "free" and should be abandoned asap. Everyone supporting this project is just feeding Canonical with his hard work with the risk of it becoming proprietary and "intellectual property".
                      So hypothetical then? Also, unless you are using two accounts here, that reply wasn't to you.

Comment

Working...
                      X