AMD Releases Open-Source UVD Video Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pvautrin View Post
    One more thing: is it correct that this code drop does not support deinterlacing?
    Where are you getting interlaced video from? That would be ancient NTSC/PAL mpeg2 videos for CRT's, which are easy decoding work for any CPU paired with a GPU with UVD2. I think you can decode that kind of stuff on... a pentium1.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nille View Post
      You don't need to Copy back the Data for an Overlay. And it has nothing todo with the Hardware or how the hardware decode the video.
      I know subtitles don't need it read back; that was an example about how some overlays are limited. They are also limited in the way that you can't render over them (to draw subtitles, for example).

My question is that whether the UVD overlay is of this kind - is it done in such a way, that the overlay can't be drawn over.

It was this way last I used some proper video accel (back on Windows 95 and some Matrox card IIRC) - you couldn't use both the acceleration and subtitles at the same time. HW limitation as I understand it, the video overlay was the topmost one, so nothing could draw over it.

Comment

• Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
        Huh? The hell are you on about. This video acceleration that was just released, will decode non-3d bluray. PERIOD.
        UVD1 and + aren't supported, therefore there IS no hardware limitation.
        I talk from normal BD no 3D-BD

Comment

Where are you getting interlaced video from?
          Some BD Disks are interlaced with MBAFF. DVB has also interlaced Formats. Many Studios broadcast in 1080i and not in 1080p.
          Last edited by Nille; 04 April 2013, 09:08 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by curaga View Post
            I know subtitles don't need it read back; that was an example about how some overlays are limited. They are also limited in the way that you can't render over them (to draw subtitles, for example).

My question is that whether the UVD overlay is of this kind - is it done in such a way, that the overlay can't be drawn over.

It was this way last I used some proper video accel (back on Windows 95 and some Matrox card IIRC) - you couldn't use both the acceleration and subtitles at the same time. HW limitation as I understand it, the video overlay was the topmost one, so nothing could draw over it.
            There is also the possibility of media players being too stupid to implement it. I have this issue with crystalhd, subtitles don't work from xine or mplayer. Not sure about other media players.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nille View Post
              I talk from normal BD no 3D-BD
              And I told you. IT WILL DO IT. What about that is so hard for you to understand?

Comment

And I told you. IT WILL DO IT. What about that is so hard for you to understand?
                I Tell you only that these type of cards has Problems with BD playback. So i own 2 of this cards on both cant playback the video smoothly

Comment

• Originally posted by pvautrin View Post
                  Tim and team,
                  Thanks for this great milestone.
                  But as owner of rv635 (hd3650), I'm really curious to know what was the main issue in bringing up UVD1 as well. Is that due to testing and bug fixing or because of significant architecture differences? Given that UVD1 seems like a subset of UVD2, I'm really hoping for the former so there's no big IP review to go though...
                  Anyways, +1 for UVD1
                  Unfortunately, UVD1 is substantially different from UVD2 and newer.

Comment

• Originally posted by curaga View Post

UVD just does decoding; there is no UVD "overlay". The display controllers have overlays, but they are not currently used by the open source driver. An overlay in the traditional sense is special hardware in the display controller that can read from two or more separate surfaces and combine them in the signal sent to the displays.

Comment

• @agd5f

I read that as "subtitles work, if the player has code for that". Correct?

Then only two questions left:
                      - is the new firmware compatible with old DRM? Ie, can the uvd-supporting firmware be shipped without any regression when run on older kernel+mesa?
                      - it appears that on Windows, using UVD forces a certain core clock*. Does this limitation also apply on linux?

* http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33989470

Comment

Working...
                      X