HD 2600 PRO AGP - driver problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    It doesn't matter now, but did you have a chance to try the open source drivers (radeonhd or radeon) ? Both of them should have worked with your card and while neither had HW acceleration they should have still given much better performance than the vesa driver.
    Hey!
    I've been struggling with radeonhd, 2d support worked but only on second video port through dvi-to-vga converter (poor quality, and still no 3d).
    Anyways, glad you're up and running now. If it makes you feel any better, Linux and Windows support came at the same time
    Ah, don't tell me! I had issues on windows as well, having regular and pointless crashes with many games.

Btw, and they lived happily ever after

Comment

• Blimey!

I got the fglrx 8.491 driver working on my RadeonHD 2600XT 512MB GDDR3 AGP.
      I knew in the end it was going to be a simple setting that fixes it, but ....
      All I had to do to make the hangs stop was set "mem=3500M" on the kernel boot line somewhere after the splash parameter in /boot/grub/menu.lst

Apparently the fact that my PC is built with 4 GB memory had an effect here ... I lose a bit of RAM but I get 6x performance boost in glxgears and functional googleearth, big dual-screen display instead of 2 clones (but why doesn't it persist?), working amdcccle, good video playback and possibly, if I can get the act together compiz eye-candy support!!?

Thank you ATI/AMD for finally making the hardware I bought work in the OS I want! (albeit with some caveats)

I might be sploshing out for a 3850AGP soon after all ....
      Last edited by Swoopy; 30 May 2008, 05:01 PM.

Comment

• Hello, i have an ati radeon hd 2600 pro agp too. I have it working with 3d effects and compiz, in my ubuntu 8.04
        Here's how i could make it work, maybe it works for all of you too.
        Download the latest driver from ati (http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html)
        In terminal:
        sudo apt-get update
        (we install driver)
        sudo sh ./ati-driver-installer-8-5-x86_64.run
        sudo aticonfig --initial
        sudo aticonfig -overlay-type=Xv
        Reboot and that's it.
        One other thing, it only worked to me with the 2...16 kernel. When i updated it to the 2.6....17 kernel i had a blanck screen. First time i tried it didn't work. If that happens, i suggest you reinstall ubuntu and then try again.
        Hope it works. Good Luck!!.
        Bye, Ansraliant

Comment

• Hello, i've bought a HD 2600 XT 512 MB, and using Catalyst 8.5 on a 2.6.25 kernel on Debian i got 4000 FPS in glxgears(not fgl_glxgears) which is really poor. I got the same result with my old, dusty nvidia 6600 card. I couldn't get Compiz to work(don't know why), i think i'm gonna change my distro(debian isn't actualy good for desktops) or in a worst case scenario get rid of my card.

Comment

• Hey Phoenix, I have the same card, and haven't had luck yet either. I think we'll have to wait for the next driver revision (At least AMD has been good about monthly driver updates) for our card to get support. So now it's the waiting game for both of us.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Hilarious View Post
              Another succes story!

But, I needed to disable AGP by setting "BusType" "PCI" in xorg.conf. But, OTOH, after I did that, I seem to have a working, accelerated 2D desktop, and 3D applications also work!
              I have had a problem with locks on OpenGL, Xv and when exiting/starting server..

That fixed OpenGL but still have problem with Xv everything just locks up when watching video with mplayer

*** Edit ***

Or NVM I must have been done something wrong to make it lockup on OpenGL because i reconfigured x and run on vanilla conf now and it works the same way..

OpenGL works.. locks when restarting x, movies is out of the question atleast with vlc/mplayer, so no pr0n for me :'(

Does anyone have a success story with a Sapphire HD 2400 PRO AGP ?
              Last edited by Rexam; 05 June 2008, 02:06 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by phoenix12345 View Post
                Hello, i've bought a HD 2600 XT 512 MB, and using Catalyst 8.5 on a 2.6.25 kernel on Debian i got 4000 FPS in glxgears(not fgl_glxgears) which is really poor. I got the same result with my old, dusty nvidia 6600 card.
                On a simple test like glxgears I'm actually surprised the 6600 isn't *faster* than the 2600, given that it's an old 8 pipe chip against a new 4 pipe chip. The 6600 should have higher fill-rate which is what tends to limit performance on simple apps, but the 2600 has more shader power which is what matters on newer apps.

If you wanted to roughly compare the cards in terms of rop/tex/alu the 6600 would be 8/8/8 while the 2600 is more like 4/8/16 or 4/8/20. Modern games are rarely fill-rate limited, so the number of rops is tending to go down while the number of alus (shaders) is tending to go up.

As a result, glxgears performance does not really track the performance of modern games and apps.

I miss the good old days; $glxgears -iacknowledgethatglxgearsisnotabenchmark
                Last edited by bridgman; 05 June 2008, 01:24 PM.
                Test signature

Comment

• Well i guess bad habits never go away(like testing a card with glxgears), but what "modern" benchmark(on linux) should i try to test my video card?

Comment

• Hmm it seems that the only thing that i have problem with is XVideo.
                    When i try to do anything with it the comp locks up.. Sometimes i can move the mouse around sometimes not. Other then that i just push the power button for soft restart.

I can't find any strange things in logs, is there anyway to debug this to get some clue what to do about it?

Comment

• Originally posted by phoenix12345 View Post
                      Well i guess bad habits never go away(like testing a card with glxgears), but what "modern" benchmark(on linux) should i try to test my video card?
                      I got an email from Phoronix today, you probably got it too. If you didn't, here it is in it's entirety.
                      ---
                      philosopher0926:

Today marks Phoronix.com's 4th anniversary and in celebration we have announced the release of Phoronix Test Suite "Trondheim" 1.0. Phoronix Test Suite 1.0 is the most comprehensive testing and benchmarking platform available for Linux and is designed to carry out qualitative and quantitative tests in a clean, reproducible, and easy-to-use manner.

This GPLv3 software is shipping with 57 test profiles and 23 test suites covering many aspects of the Linux desktop. Furthermore, independent users can easily write their own profiles using this framework and the documented, standardized XML specification. In forthcoming releases we'll be adding even more profiles and features! The Phoronix Test Suite supports reporting test results from any (official or user-created) profile to PTS Global, a publicly-controlled repository of all results with advanced sorting, graphing, and display features.

There are many other features to the Phoronix Test Suite such as sensor monitoring, hardware/software detection, and batch mode support. For more information on Phoronix Test Suite 1.0, check out the press release at http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=12427 or by visiting http://www.phoronix-test-suite.com/

In celebration of Phoronix turning four years old, we've been running a Phoronix Premium special. Phoronix Premium subscribers are able to view Phoronix.com without any advertisements, read entire multi-page articles on a single page, and access other exclusive features. This service, which also goes to support our operations, costs as low as $2.50 USD per month. For more information or to join, visit: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=phoronix_premium

All the best,
                      Phoronix Media
                      Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The Phoronix Test Suite is the most comprehensive testing and benchmarking platform available that provides an extensible framework for which new tests can be easily added. The Phoronix Test Suite is focused on providing completely automated, reproducible, and turn-key deployment benchmarking.
                      I don't know much about it. I just got around to checking my email. If you feel adventurous go for it.

Comment

Working...
                      X