Here's The First Screenshot Of The Linux Steam Client

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by walmartshopper View Post
    It looks a little different for me... maybe it was updated. Does anyone else's look like this with the two diagonal lines?
    It's hard to tell from that screenshot, but the steam window also has a white shadow, while the rest of my system uses black shadows.

Comment

Originally posted by Remco View Post
      Between this and Windows game cracks, I think Valve will manage to survive. They've shown to be a remarkably smart company. The second that they don't want us to poke around anymore, they will surely move the files to a hidden location. It's not like Valve doesn't know about this, while the rest of the world has read it on all the tech sites.
      Yes, besides illegal, redistributing the files would be crossing the line. We have to give Valve all the power to end this, if they want.
      Yeah, it's called not giving them out, if they don't want to give them out. Username/password. Pretty simple really.

They *want* everyone to "play" with them. Both Valve and Phoronix are trying to build hype for Steam, even if they're not in bed with each other completely and it's for different reasons, at least they are on the same side regardless. :P I have no problem with that, as it helps Linux as a whole, but more on that later..

Originally posted by Zhick View Post
      Nah, the simple truth is that all this steam-related articles bring in much more page-views than pretty much all others. Just for that reason Michael definitely won't let the topic rest until there's official confirmation, but will make a new news for every single new string containing linux he'll find anywhere near steam.
      Can't really blame him for that, but still, it gets annoying.
      I'm sure it will be released for Linux. It's called the hype machine. That's what news sites do. You should watch "mainstream" news more often, will help you to figure that out. Or don't, and spare your brain cells the trauma.

Company A: How are we going to create interest in our product before it's even out?
      Company B: We'll "leak" it for you for monah! *creates 'teasers', 'leaks', 'previews', and other such things*

Again, I don't mind it that Phoronix and other news sites do this, if Phoronix does do this and was paid in this case at least, but pretending they don't know if they really do is certainly lame and unethical obviously since it's a lie. I'm quite sure they are paid by some vendors though as they review some very silly things sometimes which have nothing to do with Linux compatibility, and even somethings which you can't get without Windows which is lame, but that's part of Phoronix's business model for you. Or maybe they just have a lot of really slow news days. Seeing as to how most news outlets do this it wouldn't surprise me, but we'll never know most likely because if they were, it'd be in some contract/NDA, which is pretty amazing when you think about it, to write in stone an unethical agreement lol.

Appreciative of Linux hype, Linux needs attention, but I just hope it's well-founded like the others on this forum do, and I'm sure it is in this case. I also hope that Linux being more involved with money doesn't lead to it's corruption in some ways. It can't be completely corrupted, since it's open source, but it can be skewed and play favorites. At least until someone patches it in the other direction to remain more neutral.

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
      Yeah before you know, some people are going to die!

Wait... what? We're making a collection of some free of charge computer instruction communicate with Linux API/ABI's without breaking any kind of copy protection or DMCA pratices?

Lol
      Not that those "laws" have your best interests at heart any way or that you should care about them. Those laws were written by corporations for corporations and against citizens to attempt to control them and monopolize and otherwise make the market less fair and competitive. You can and should freely share all the information you want, that's what the net is for and no one should be able to enforce that. It's up to corporations to realize this fact and come up with new ways of doing business if they want to stay in business, and they are, and have. Open source is one of those new busniesses. Ultimately though, money just needs to be done away with and automation should replace everything.

Comment

Could UT3 be available to Linux on Steam when steam will be out ?!?

I wouldn't be surprised at all that both Steam and UT3 are linked together when running on linux...

Comment

Originally posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
          Could UT3 be available to Linux on Steam when steam will be out ?!?

I wouldn't be surprised at all that both Steam and UT3 are linked together when running on linux...
          UT3 has no connection to Valve. It runs on the Unreal engine, so it shouldn't matter. If it ran on Source, that would be different

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
            I'm quite sure they are paid by some vendors though as they review some very silly things sometimes which have nothing to do with Linux compatibility, and even somethings which you can't get without Windows which is lame, but that's part of Phoronix's business model for you.
            Phoronix is never paid by vendors for doing hardware reviews. To what are you referring to as "silly things", like power supplies? They may not have much interest to you, but to other enthusiasts it's different, and then it also allows us to have the power supply samples for use in test systems rather than having to buy a bunch of power supplies.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by j883376 View Post
              UT3 has no connection to Valve. It runs on the Unreal engine, so it shouldn't matter. If it ran on Source, that would be different
              Source is not Steam. And I think that UT3 has been on sold on steam, as well as it was selling on shelves at the same time.
              Steam can sell almost any game. They have begun with their own games, running on Source engine, but they can sell almost any game.

Comment

It's quiet ironic that people who choose Linux because of being Open-Source & DRM free , can't wait for Steam which i basically one of the worst DRM forms available.

Comment

Originally posted by Przeciwko View Post
                  It's quiet ironic that people who choose Linux because of being Open-Source & DRM free , can't wait for Steam which i basically one of the worst DRM forms available.
                  I absolutely disagree. Steam is probably the most painless form of DRM for games available. Valve allows you to play your games offline as long as you connect once, there are no limits on activations, you don't need a CD inserted. 3rd parties that use their own DRM excluded, Steam is the absolute best implementation of DRM we can ask for, apart from them removing it which is unlikely.

Comment

I would say Valve don't abuse their drm (much), but from a technical standpoint it can be a very limiting one if they wish. Make no mistake - Valve can easily remove a game from your Steam account and stop you playing it.

Comment

Originally posted by j883376 View Post
                      Valve allows you to play your games offline as long as you connect once, there are no limits on activations, you don't need a CD inserted. 3rd parties that use their own DRM excluded, Steam is the absolute best implementation of DRM we can ask for, apart from them removing it which is unlikely.
                      The problem with Steam is that you don't really own the game but borrow it, user depend from Steam all the time. They can remove your games without warning, block them or anything. You need to be connected to internet all the time, off-line Steam only sounds good on paper. In reality you still need to connect. What if someone (for some reason) loose access to internet for example a month? such person is basically toasted. Forget about choosing what patch you want (important in case of games like Stalker) or un-problematic mods for some games - they need to be altered to be used with Steam.

When you buy game on CD you own it basically for life, if you take good care of it. You can play whenever you want wherever you want and no company from outside can influence this.

When Steam dies one day, all those game you purchased there will be unplayable, dead. It's rather doubtful that they release no-steam fix, since it would make those game so easily pirated. You can say that Steam games are already pirated (which proves this DRM is pointless) and it's true.But remember, companies do anything to stop piracy (look at ridiculous Ubisoft idea), even by crippling users. Just have this in mind when Steam goes to hell.

Comment

Working...
                      X