How much stable are intel drivers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much stable are intel drivers?

I have a Haswell igpu (hd 4600) on one of my pc.
    I don't have any particular requirements that would need me to buy a discrete card.
    My only concern is whether the intel drivers are stable or not (I read some comments on the internet about broken design with intel drivers)

Originally posted by sonnet View Post
    I don't have any particular requirements that would need me to buy a discrete card.
    My only concern is whether the intel drivers are stable or not (I read some comments on the internet about broken design with intel drivers)
    I just wanted to add that I only play few games (that the 4600 hd should be able to handle), and need good graphic acceleration (which the hd 4600 should be able to provide)

Comment

not sure what you mean with "stable"

running this box now with the mentioned graphics unit and it works pretty well

there were some compositing windows manager issues (compiz-fusion) for several months (also encountered on an IvyBridge laptop)

which have now been ironed out - never had any crashes or other strange behavior

so it should be "stable", no ?

Comment

Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
        not sure what you mean with "stable"

running this box now with the mentioned graphics unit and it works pretty well

there were some compositing windows manager issues (compiz-fusion) for several months (also encountered on an IvyBridge laptop)

which have now been ironed out - never had any crashes or other strange behavior

so it should be "stable", no ?
        Thanks for your reply
        With stable I mean not having the system/desktop freeze forcing me to hard reboot it.
        I had this issue with nvidia drivers. The issue I believe is somehow related to vga acceleration with browsers (firefox mostly)

Compositing issues do not bother me much (I don't even use composite), what really bothers me is having system freeze.

Comment

With stable I mean not having the system/desktop freeze forcing me to hard reboot it.
          In this case Intel drivers is best you can find on Linux. Just stick to stable releases and most likely you'll never have such problems with them.

Comment

Sandy Bridge

Running Sandy Bridge here, never had a problem with driver stability on my macbook pro. I also use nvidia on my desktop.

Comment

Thanks guys, that's reassuring

Comment

Working...
              X