Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Catalyst 13.3 Beta 3 Available For Linux Users

Phoronix: AMD Catalyst 13.3 Beta 3 Available For Linux Users

It was just one week ago that AMD released the Catalyst 13.3 Beta 2 driver while now it has been succeeded by Catalyst 13.3 Beta 3...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

fixes for Valve Source Engine games like Serious Sam 3, Team Fortress 2,
    Correction: Serious Sam 3 is not a Valve game, nor does it use the Source engine. The game is developed by Croteam and uses their in-house engine.
    Team Fortress 2 is from Valve and does use the source engine.

Comment

For a pleasant change of events, this beta update is accompanied by a public change-log.
      Someone get Satan a winter coat...

Comment

Does anyone know if laptop backlight adjustment, that was broken in previous betas, is fixed now?

Comment

Linux 3.7 & 3.8 now supported - what does it take to support a new Linux kernel? I mean Linux is backwards compatible, what's the deal exactly?

Comment

Wow, it's great to see they provide some kind of change log.

What I don't get is the "Open Issues" list.
            How should it be interpreted?
            Are those the most graving issues?
            Are those all "open issues" AMD acknowledges?
            Take a look at http://ati.cchtml.com and you'll find *cough* way more than five open issues.

Comment

As i packaged several amd fglrx beta releases with Debian kernel 3.7/3.8 patches i can say what happened was a 1:1 integration of those. Amd did not need to do much, those have been provided by the community. Now to Serious Sam 3, there is absolutely no working fix, the lastest public beta from SS3 shows the menu correct, but the first logo is with artefacts. When you don't use gfxRestart() while the menu is shown (or via pressing Alt+Enter twice) then serveral textures like trees flicker in the level you start then. Also the OpenGL performace in Linux is very bad, on Win OpenGL is faster - at least using Killing Floor. SS3 with my HD 5670 is more or less unplayable when there are lots of enemies shown. If AMD wants to provide the GPU for a steambox then they should begin working on OpenGL much harder than they did before. Users with slower CPUs have got even more problems, then even Source engine games are unplayable, with slower i mean Phenom X4/X6 and FX. i7 seems to have got more power to run Source engine better. KF with every possible renderer on 3 gfx solutions tested including fglrx 13.3 beta 3:

I recorded some simple demos (could add others or replace em if needed) and made a little script to select em. It always uses the default res (can only parse 1 monitor) and writes that into the default config. In the comments you see what to change if you want to use your standard settings instead. I used 1 level with nvidia rendering bugs, 1 normal speed one, 2 with speed problems.

If i would use the performance mode with my cpu i could gain 2 fps, but thats pointless - maybe with slower systems you gain more. I don't understandt at all why the OpenGL performance is better on Win than on Linux. Amd (and Nvidia too!) should really profile the driver to find the cause of this difference. Intel has a max. difference of 25% for OpenGL, D3D(9) with KF is extra slow, Intel Win driver devs could do some profiling as well
              Last edited by Kano; 24 March 2013, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Compared to 13.2, this release makes HoN crash on a regular basis. Never in-game, but when switching from the match making queue to loading the new match.

Comment

they put out a changelog...wow. Nice.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                    Linux 3.7 & 3.8 now supported - what does it take to support a new Linux kernel? I mean Linux is backwards compatible, what's the deal exactly?
                    No it isn't. Not the driver API anyway. It changes every time a developer's ass itches.

Comment

Working...
                    X