Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD 8.42.3 Driver Released -- The Baby Is Born!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Phlogiston View Post
    Anyone could fix the slow scrolling issue?
    Did you turn desktop effects on?
    If desktop effects are running, scrolling and moving windows are much faster.

Comment

• Well, it's mostly good news for me - my standard "benchmarking tools" of ut2004, doom3 & ppracer all work just fine with a good deal better performance. I don't have compiz running yet, but I don't think that's anything to do with fglrx (the whole GLX_EXT_Texture_from_Pixmap error that I haven't had time yet to sort out).
      I also have a few other issues, though I also just updated xorg so it could be in there too; glxinfo doesn't return information until after the first time I open an OpenGL application, and no OpenGL (fullscreen) windows will open the first time I try - subsequent attempts work just fine. Again, especially the latter, I think it's more to do with the xorg update.
      Running Gentoo64, radeon x1600.
      All-in-all, cheers ATI!

Comment

• Originally posted by JackDanielz View Post
        how do i do that for mplayer because as far as I kno I can only do it from the command line.

mplayer -vo x11

that doesnt work because I have to chose a file and I want it to be x11 for everything.
        With gstreamer-properties I can set the video output plugin to X Window System (without Xv), then all my videos with mplayer play without Xv and no flickers anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by bit7 View Post

This is strange, I have the exact opposite behavior. I find that with desktop effects on, scrolling is terrible, while if desktop effects are off, scrolling is very snappy.

I wonder what the differences in your configuration are.

Comment

• Originally posted by bit7 View Post
            No I'm not sure. Which effects do you exactly mean? The effects plugin of compiz-fusion or what?

Comment

• Originally posted by Phlogiston View Post
              No I'm not sure. Which effects do you exactly mean? The effects plugin of compiz-fusion or what?
              I think in ubuntu (iirc), desktop effects is just another name for compiz/compiz-fusion

Comment

• Originally posted by tsarig View Post
                I've installed 8.42.3 both on Ubuntu Feisty and PCLinuxOS with same results:

whenever I execute 'glxgears', 'fgl_glxgears', running 3d game or screensaver I get a blank window or a black display.

'cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep "EE"' gives me this error:

(EE) fglrx(0): Failed to enable interrupts.

'fglrxinfo' is ok:

display: :0.0 screen: 0
                OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
                OpenGL renderer string: Radeon X1950 Series
                OpenGL version string: 2.0.6958 Release

IMO 8.42.3 suck, ATI sucked, sucks and will continue to suck. that will gonna be my last ATI video card ever, my next one will be Nvidia. ATI still does'nt pay attention to older than HD series products. they promised 8.42 will solve older AGP cards problems which it didn't as I anticipated.

-Waiting whole 3 months was a huge waste of time for me, I've done being ATI's sucker anymore.

NOT working with Fedora Core 6 2.6.22.9-61.fc6 x86_64 and X1950 Pro (AGP)
                Same error but X doesn't start (I must reset the PC).

:-(

Comment

• Originally posted by spotman View Post
                  I think in ubuntu (iirc), desktop effects is just another name for compiz/compiz-fusion

ah ok, anyway I want compiz + a solution for this. But I guess its a driver problem!

Comment

• this drivers is s**t. compiz doesnt work, -50% performance.. reverted to 8.40.4. and, of course, never again an ati card

Comment

• Originally posted by jeffjoker View Post
                      Hello again,

Finally home. I have installed using the script.
                      Installation successful but could not load the desktop effects.
                      I have a laptop with a ATI 9600 onboard.
                      The fglrxinfo return ATI openGL 2.0
                      The co,posite option is enabled in the xorg.conf !

Please help debugging
                      More information would be helpful (or rather I should say needed) before we can even know what's wrong with your setup.

Comment

Working...
                      X