Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCC 4.5.0 Compiler Released

Phoronix: GCC 4.5.0 Compiler Released

Version 4.5 of the GNU Compiler Collection (GCC) was running behind with too many regressions being left open, but only a few weeks ago they cleared their P1 regressions and then put out the GCC 4.5 release candidate. Now, already, GCC 4.5 has been officially released...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: GCC 4.5.0 Compiler Released

Version 4.5 of the GNU Compiler Collection (GCC) was running behind with too many regressions being left open, but only a few weeks ago they cleared their P1 regressions and then put out the GCC 4.5 release candidate. Now, already, GCC 4.5 has been officially released...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODE1Ng
    Hey! Your forgot to tell about the LTO (link-time optimisation) and the plugin support. These are really the most important changes (in my opinion).

Nice to have an article about it here anyway Keep up the good work!

Comment

Yes, LTO is definately the big one this release (particularly since llvm's LTO is only available on the OSX platform). Then we have Graphite, although it was already in 4.4, it was bare-bones and has now been enhanced considerably. Also plugin support has great potential (like llvm's DragonEgg). I'm surprised myself at how fast the gcc 4.5 release came out, here's hoping llvm 2.7 get's past it's critical bugs and releases soon aswell.

Comment

Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
        Yes, LTO is definately the big one this release (particularly since llvm's LTO is only available on the OSX platform). Then we have Graphite, although it was already in 4.4, it was bare-bones and has now been enhanced considerably. Also plugin support has great potential (like llvm's DragonEgg). I'm surprised myself at how fast the gcc 4.5 release came out, here's hoping llvm 2.7 get's past it's critical bugs and releases soon aswell.
        At the moment, I'm more interested in clang getting a good c++ support than any improvement on the LLVM side. It's just the classic statement: Make it work and then make it fast )

Comment

Yes I hear you, but making a c++ frontend is hard and it takes time. Meanwhile DragonEgg gives more options to those who wants to use llvm's optimizer rather than gcc's.

Comment

Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
            Yes I hear you, but making a c++ frontend is hard and it takes time. Meanwhile DragonEgg gives more options to those who wants to use llvm's optimizer rather than gcc's.
            you're right, let's use gcc's frontend while using LLVM as a backend.

I'm gonna need to do performance tests!

Comment

Working...
            X