Blizzard Entertainment Planning A Linux Game For 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by by.peroux View Post
    Concerning all of those posts about which game and the worth, I personally think that their aim is to bring an unofficial public beta for their tools. As mentioned, this particular game will not be cost efficient, but will grant them feedback about how well their launcher, engine and stuff works on Linux compared on the actual supported OS. Only fan of the game will be interested ? All right, they find a way to make it run, even with drivers issues and stuff like that. I see it as a test to add Linux as an official supported OS for their next games.
    It may be right if developers are the only one deciding what to do. But I always remember that Activion/Vivendi is backing the whole business, and if they don't consider linux worth the money, it won't be done. We already have seen many games canceled because they considered it would not be profitable ENOUGH, I would not be surprised if it was the case here again (just see id Software...)

Comment

Originally posted by disi View Post
      I haven't tried D3 yet
      What anti-playing measures did they implement?
      DRM and perma-Online (like mmorpg) afaik...?
      D3 does require you to be online and logged into a server with a battlenet account.
      Sucky thing is Steam requires you to be logged in to play as well.

It does blow outright balls that you really don't "own" games anymore. The new gen XBOX and PS are going to be digital download (like steam) to stop people from re-selling used games. I don't see DRM going away... ever. It's tiresome for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
        i red it just fine :
        1. Calm down !
        2. I really hope english isn't your native language, otherwise it looks like you left school in the age of 10.

Please read the sentence again:

"this port is being done internally by their own developers, which isn't a huge surprise given their past public statements and already existing internal linux client work"

-> It's not a big surprise that the port is done internally. This has nothing to do with the game being a surprise or not
        -> It's not a big surprise that the port is done internally, cause they already did internal linux client work. This shows that blizz has internal Linux knowledge, therefore doing the port inhouse instead of hiring externals to do it.

I hope everything is clear for you right now.
        If they really wanted to bring a Wow linux client, they could have done that years ago. They could also do it NOW, cause it seems to be working already. But this will not happen.

Imo it will either be D3 or SC2, but my bets are on SC2 .

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
          D3 does require you to be online and logged into a server with a battlenet account.
          Sucky thing is Steam requires you to be logged in to play as well.

It does blow outright balls that you really don't "own" games anymore. The new gen XBOX and PS are going to be digital download (like steam) to stop people from re-selling used games. I don't see DRM going away... ever. It's tiresome for sure.
          Steam does not require that you are online to play, you can lauch the game in offline mode.

Even though I understand that the game is somehow "attached" to the client itself, and thus you only have access to it as long as the steam service itself exists, on the other hand, if you buy a CD/DVD game, in the vast majority of the cases, you only have access to it in a specific platform (windows, linux or mac). Whyle on steam you can play the game on every platform supported by the developer. Furthermore, the DRM in CD/DVD games usually requires the original media to play the game, so if the media stops working (due to scratches, etc) you no longer own anything.

So obviously, besides OSS games, I agree that HIB are the closest to free we can get, but as compared to CD/DVD games, it is not that clear to me if steam is all that bad.
          Last edited by Figueiredo; 07 January 2013, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Figueiredo View Post
            Steam does not require that you are online to play, you can lauch the game in offline mode.
            "Some" games don't even require Steam to run. You can just start them from the Steamapps folder.

Download the best games on Windows & Mac. A vast selection of titles, DRM-free, with free goodies, and lots of pure customer love.

Comment

Originally posted by Figueiredo View Post

Even though I understand that the game is somehow "attached" to the client itself, and thus you only have access to it as long as the steam service itself exists, on the other hand, if you buy a CD/DVD game, in the vast majority of the cases, you only have access to it in a specific platform (windows, linux or mac). Whyle on steam you can play the game on every platform supported by the developer. Furthermore, the DRM in CD/DVD games usually requires the original media to play the game, so if the media stops working (due to scratches, etc) you no longer own anything.

So obviously, besides OSS games, I agree that HIB are the closest to free we can get, but as compared to CD/DVD games, it is not that clear to me if steam is all that bad.
              Q.) In offline mode don't you still have to log into the client though?

DRM in cds has been around for ever, true. Though I suppose I could sell the disc if the serial isn't account locked however I wasn't defending DVDs nor was I saying steam blows just that DRM does.

Now just to dig since you brought it up, I can still sell my XBOX discs because their not account locked. DRM be damned I still kinda own that one. I can sell it if I no longer like it. Can't do that with "my" steam skyrim.

Steam has it's pluses, good games, good sale prices but mostly on the Windows version.

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
                Q.) In offline mode don't you still have to log into the client though?
                Yes, for some games, but as indicated above, not all of them. Some, like GTA IV for example even require to also login into GFWL (oh, the humanity!!!)

In a nutshell, the DRM is up to the developer, it can vary between none (HIB style) and horrendous (GTA IV).

In my previous post I wasn't comparing steam to consoles, but to CD/DVD PC games, the rest being equal.

In my country, console games very expensive. Skyrim for PS3, for example, costs around US$100, while on Steam its around $60 and on steamsales its ~$40.

So, at least here, you would have to choose between paying more than double on a reselable console version than on a steam version you can keep "forever".

Comment

Just curious, for how much Skyrim console goes used around there? Since the resellability is the whole point, why not take advantage of it.

Comment

I don't own a console, so I may not know the best store to buy used games, but in a quick search, although the price varies wildly, the avarage is around US$50-60. So you pretty much loose exacly what the steam version costs.

Also of notice is that exacly due to the very high prices in Brazil (mainly due to extremely high taxes), the market of non-pirated games is very small. Most console owners simply pirate their games. Consequently game companies just ignore our market. Thus, the market may be very different from what you may be used to. Old games (as well as old hardware) take way too long to have it's prices reduced (if at all), thus GTA IV for the PS3 costs around $40, while the bundle with every version of GTA ever released for windows and mac costed me $20 on last year's sale.

So, over here, if buying original games, steam is simply a no-brainer.

Comment

IMO what it would take to get the ball running on linux gaming would be a AAA title like black ops II or the like

that would be a reason to get excited and seeing how mw games are built on a modified doom3 engine I'm sure it wouldn't be all that hard.

the nvidia blob is decent enough and ubuntu 13.04 with the improved unity doesn't fuck up game perfomance much...

but wtf are these companies expecting by porting old ass games to linux? seriously??

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                      If you're looking for homosex, you can just ask. Politely. coz I'm gay
                      I'm cool thx bro

Comment

Working...
                      X