No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst On Fedora 20 Is Left In An Awkward State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupid question: Why is it accepted these kernel changes are breaking device drivers in the first place?

Comment

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
      Stupid question: Why is it accepted these kernel changes are breaking device drivers in the first place?
      1. These are proprietary drivers. We don't know what will and what won't break them in the first place. As always, the FOSS drivers work just fine with this latest kernel release ^.^
      2. Even if we DID know what would and would not break them, we wouldn't care. They are a 3rd party, it is not the job of the kernel devs to play nice with proprietary drivers when we have FOSS ones that (mostly) work fine...
      3. AMD has been playing with the idea of using the FOSS kernel-side code, so the proprietary driver would (ideally) never break between kernel releases, along with a ton of other benefits. SOOO looking forward to this

Comment

Hey man,

Thank you very much for this, it was really helpful.

[QUOTE=bitwiseoperator;418197]If anyone needs help with this issue, see my blog:

Update: Be sure to check out the next post in this series for the latest information on version 14.9 of the Catalyst (fglrx) driver for Linux.  The short story is: no patch is required for the new …

/QUOTE]

I used KDE from 2001 till about 2010 and I might be weird, but I really like gnome-shell. Three things put me off KDE after trying it again (yesterday):
        * The launcher seems so... last decade in style
        * The inability to use the windows key to bring up the launcher is incredibly frustrating. I compiled and installed ksuperwin but it didn't work reliably. I typically launch my apps by hitting windows then typing the name (both for windows and in gnome-shell)
        * The Dolphin file browser also seems really dated and I figured if I had to change that to use nautilus I am probably barking up the wrong tree.

So I gave cinnamon a go, and wahey, it seems to do what I want (minus the expose by flicking the mouse to the top left corner).

Don't know if this helps anyone (and sorry if it annoys anyone) but other users might want to try cinnamon if they actually like gnome-shell.

Comment

Originally posted by evanjfraser View Post
          I used KDE from 2001 till about 2010 and I might be weird, but I really like gnome-shell. Three things put me off KDE after trying it again (yesterday):
          * The launcher seems so... last decade in style
          For someone claiming to have used KDE software for nine years, you are incredibly inapt to replace one launcher with another?

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
            For someone claiming to have used KDE software for nine years, you are incredibly inapt to replace one launcher with another?
            Dude, I was only trying to be constructive. No need to be a wanker about it. Besides, grammatically speaking, your reply doesn't even make sense.

Comment

Dude, I was only trying to be constructive.
              You failed. You bashed one thing in order to promote Cinnamon. That's not constructive.

Besides, grammatically speaking, your reply doesn't even make sense.
              Yeah, now bash the non-native speaker? (If you were constructive, you'd point out the mistake and correct it?)

Comment

If you hadn't been so rude in the first place, I wouldn't have dreamed of correcting your grammar.

I'm sorry I offended you with presenting an infrequently mentioned alternative to KDE, and you're right I could have been more tactful.

You implied that it was my criticism of the launcher that set you off, I'm not sure why it upset you so much, perhaps you're a developer of it?

If so, I apologise, and thanks for the hard work in developing KDE.

If not, then I'm still sorry it upset you, but perhaps you could have responded more tactfully yourself? like: "hey man, did you look at X launcher? I/some like it"

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                  Or, he can acknowledge that it is not his job to switch DEs around based on what AMD writes. What if he LIKES gnome-shell? I do, and I have been using Redhat (and then Fedora) for 17 years now.

My solution was to buy NVidia who knows how to code their drivers. I do not like KDE and I will not use something I dont like because AMD is too incompetent to code proper drivers.

Comment

Working...
                  X