Google Chrome For Linux Arrives, In Dev Form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kano View Post
    The hugest problem with chrome is that no java + flash plugins are unusable.
    Well, that's a problem with the alpha version. But as you shouldn't use it for daily work anyways it shouldn't be a problem. In the final version it will surely work fine ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
      "Installing Google Chrome will add the Google repository so your system will automatically keep Chrome up to date."

Finally, a third party package you can install and keep up to date without rubbing your head, patting your belly, and dancing a jig.

Without proper apturl infrastructure built into ubuntu, more and more packages will modify /etc/apt/sources.list until it's just the accepted way of doing things.
      Thats strange .. it didn't add any third party software source for me ??

Comment

Too little, too late Google.

Opera 10 Beta kicks all browser's asses. It's the fastest, uses the least CPU to render pages and browsing actually feels smooth. At least that's the case on Linux. If even Firefox can't beat Opera, some crappy Chrome will never be able to.

Comment

Opera 10 Beta kicks all browser's asses. It's the fastest, uses the least CPU to render pages and browsing actually feels smooth. At least that's the case on Linux. If even Firefox can't beat Opera, some crappy Chrome will never be able to.
          Long-time Opera user and I am seriously impressed by Opera 10. Opera 9.6 already worked great on Linux, but the latest beta is even faster.

The only advantage of Chrome over Opera is its integrated search / address bar. Opera has had this feature for years, but Chrome's implementation is much more polished (single word searching in Opera is *very* annoying).

Comment

Basically that search is not new. When you remember Mozilla which is now called Seamonkey then it had this feature too - only Firefox splitted it. Therefore I did not like Firefox for the first time, because the old way was definitely faster. But you can get used to anything if needed...

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
              The linux port of Chrome uses GTK+, so the chance for having a Qt4 GUI is slim. But Chrome's render engine is WebKit, so you just have to use Konqueror (switched to WebKit backend) to get what you want.
              does konqueror work properly with the webkit backend?

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                The only advantage of Chrome over Opera is its integrated search / address bar. Opera has had this feature for years, but Chrome's implementation is much more polished (single word searching in Opera is *very* annoying).
                The biggest Chrome advantage over Opera is it's Open Source while Opera isn't. The biggest Opera advantage is it uses QT4.

@Unimatrix

Browsing is smooth, because it uses QT4 :> It will be even smoother when graphic card drivers will provide better support for this toolkit. When last time I used Opera it had problems with some sites and with flash player, so in my opinion it doesn't have a chance when compared to Firefox. However, maybe now it's better. Oh, and I remember some benchmark where Firefox was clear winner when comes to memory usage. The worst were Safari and then IE - humongous memory leaks in both...

@Pfanne

does konqueror work properly with the webkit backend?
                Does someone know how to enable webkit backend in Konqueror?
                Last edited by kraftman; 05 June 2009, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Oh, and I remember some benchmark where Firefox was clear winner when comes to memory usage.

Mine and many others' experiences speak to the contrary, FF has always leaked like crazy. No match to IE, but still a ton.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post

Mine and many others' experiences speak to the contrary, FF has always leaked like crazy. No match to IE, but still a ton.
                    Possible I suppose nothing will beat Safari - over 600MB in this benchmark.

Last edited by kraftman; 05 June 2009, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Chromium is so fast it's not even funny. Their work on V8 is showing.

No flash or plugins though, so I'm not using it seriously yet.

Comment

Working...
                      X