Google Chrome For Linux Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kerning and scrolling

Font kerning is a religious issue, chrome should have an option to respect users desktop settings just like every other app, but I think defaulting to something that looks the same on every platform is a very good idea, and i think that's why they made it that way.

Scrolling is uber-fast (perfect) for me on an intel x4500mhd and ubuntu karmic.

Comment

Is there a real 64bit version ? or just a 32bit one with 64bit package ?

Comment

Originally posted by Tares View Post
        Is there a real 64bit version ? or just a 32bit one with 64bit package ?
        yes, 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by garytr24 View Post
          Font kerning is a religious issue, chrome should have an option to respect users desktop settings just like every other app, but I think defaulting to something that looks the same on every platform is a very good idea, and i think that's why they made it that way.
          Nope, it looks nothing like kerning on windows (which works fine). This looks like a typical rounding bug (accumulating error causing off-by-1 artifacts).

Originally posted by elanthis
          The slowness is quick likely to be a driver issue. Anyone reading this site knows that the Linux graphics stack is still broke as hell for most hardware (maybe "soon" it can handle simple freaking 2D without too much pain).
          The slowness is present on both nvidia and fglrx, Linux *and* Windows. My guess is that this is a webkit issue, since it's been present since Chrome 1.0.

Go to a heavy website (e.g. http://www.gamedev.net/), zoom in by two clicks and try scrolling around to see what I mean.

Comment

Indeed the fonts are still soft and fuzzy lacking any kind of sub-pixel hinting. Menus and url bar are like they should be, but web sites fonts just hurts/strains eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
              Nope, it looks nothing like kerning on windows (which works fine). This looks like a typical rounding bug (accumulating error causing off-by-1 artifacts).

The slowness is present on both nvidia and fglrx, Linux *and* Windows. My guess is that this is a webkit issue, since it's been present since Chrome 1.0.

Go to a heavy website (e.g. http://www.gamedev.net/), zoom in by two clicks and try scrolling around to see what I mean.

Oh ya, I see what you mean about the scrolling. Interesting. But, I don't think I see what you mean about the kerning? ''''''''''' looks evenly spaced and fine to me.

Comment

Originally posted by blindfrog View Post
                Indeed the fonts are still soft and fuzzy lacking any kind of sub-pixel hinting. Menus and url bar are like they should be, but web sites fonts just hurts/strains eyes.
                Which OS and DE? Subpixel antialiasing seems to be working on my system (Karmic/Gnome/light hinting/RGB antialiasing), but I'm seeing kerning issues. I recall older versions of Chromium having no subpixel AA on Linux, but this was fixed several months ago (around June, IIRC).

Seems there's a lot of work left to do for correct font rendering on Chrome/Linux...

Comment

Originally posted by garytr24 View Post
                  Oh ya, I see what you mean about the scrolling. Interesting. But, I don't think I see what you mean about the kerning? ''''''''''' looks evenly spaced and fine to me.
                  This is what I mean (Chromium on the left, Opera on the right, OS is Ubuntu/Karmic):

Comment

Wait, is this the OS? Where are the damn download links? Why is this so complicated .

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                      Looks like a bug with zoom. It's quite speedy without zoom, and when zoomed in, it's not just slow -- the scroll bar tends to jump back a bit, too. Probably having serious trouble calculating relative positions when zoom is in effect due to a bug.

Comment

Working...
                      X