Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 8 vs. Linux Graphics, Source Benchmarks Coming

Phoronix: Windows 8 vs. Linux Graphics, Source Benchmarks Coming

Before the end of the month will be many new and exciting Linux benchmarks on Phoronix, including the Radeon Dynamic Power Management results in full, many updated Windows 8 vs. Ubuntu Linux tests, and Valve Source Engine Linux GPU benchmarks, among others...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Could you stop posting about what are you going to do and just post when it's available? All this is bullshit even for a tabloid-like site.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      Could you stop posting about what are you going to do and just post when it's available? All this is bullshit even for a tabloid-like site.

Thanks.
      It's generally a lot more effective when people provide test requests / feedback / suggestions prior to writing a given article than giving feedback afterwards when nothing can be changed until the next time such tests are done...
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        It's generally a lot more effective when people provide test requests / feedback / suggestions prior to writing a given article than giving feedback afterwards when nothing can be changed until the next time such tests are done...
        Well, it makes sense. Sorry for over reacting about it, then...

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Thanks.
          It's his site, he can do whatever he wants with it.

Comment

Originally posted by synaptix View Post
            It's his site, he can do whatever he wants with it.
            agreed, and i think if possible some steam AMD win8 vs r600g linux would put a nice perspective on the road of open drivers

edit including 3.11 and vadim r600sb ofc

Comment

You should actually use Linux in your tests

Normally you do benchmarks with Ubuntu, but can you please instead use a linux distro? Debian, Fedora, Mint, Gentoo, there are plenty of distros out there who wish to remain linux distros instead of becoming their own unique enclave.

We are fast approaching a time when Ubuntu is about as "linux" as android is.

Or else title your upcoming piece: "Windows 8 vs. Ubuntu Graphics, Source Benchmarks"

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
                Normally you do benchmarks with Ubuntu, but can you please instead use a linux distro? Debian, Fedora, Mint, Gentoo, there are plenty of distros out there who wish to remain linux distros instead of becoming their own unique enclave.

We are fast approaching a time when Ubuntu is about as "linux" as android is.

Or else title your upcoming piece: "Windows 8 vs. Ubuntu Graphics, Source Benchmarks"

Thanks.
                I normally don't agree with people like him Michael...but right now I kind of am inclined to. I know you use Ubuntu because its the most common distro, but with all the crap with Xmir and stuff... Maybe you should be switching to Linux Mint (if you still want to remain 'ubuntu-ish') or even Fedora (if you want to start seeing whats the latest PACKAGED code in a packaged distro. I add that last part to exclude Arch because theres any number of things that could skew those numbers. <3 Arch though )
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                  I normally don't agree with people like him Michael...but right now I kind of am inclined to. I know you use Ubuntu because its the most common distro, but with all the crap with Xmir and stuff... Maybe you should be switching to Linux Mint (if you still want to remain 'ubuntu-ish') or even Fedora (if you want to start seeing whats the latest PACKAGED code in a packaged distro. I add that last part to exclude Arch because theres any number of things that could skew those numbers. <3 Arch though )
                  I love Fedora a lot and always have, but as can be seen from the articles, I generally only use it for benchmarks around the time it's actually released when the packages are still fresh namely because:

- Fedora Rawhide packages ship with a lot of debug cruft that can affect the performance so using those experimental packages unfortunately doesn't work out well.

- Ubuntu is convenient for kernel tests with their Ubuntu Mainline Kernel PPA where they also package the daily Git kernels. As far as I know there isn't any similar archive for Fedora. I can easily build my own Git kernel, but when (re)installing systems often, this is very convenient, plus if people have a question about my kernel configuration or want to also test the latest kernel, I can simply tell them to go to the PPA.

I think those are my two main gripes these days but yeah aside from that have been using Xubuntu a lot lately.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

If you want feedback...

Please, when comparing the radeon OSS driver to Win8 or fglrx proprietary drivers, add an option of enabling the shader optimizations. (sb) Showing results with it both OFF and ON would be nice.

Comment

Working...
                    X