Best working nVidia card for linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best working nVidia card for linux?

I think i've just about had it with Ati/amd cards under linux, so i'm considering trading my ati card with a nVidia, if there's one working great.

Soo, is there? Ideally one that works at full speed with everything on, with (berryl?)effects, Wine and games and so on...

Btw. a reasonably new card, not some old crap
    Last edited by GoBBLeS; 24 July 2008, 08:25 PM.

My 9600GT works great, but others have reported 2D performance issues. The 7900 series is probably the most recent nVidia card to get few or no complaints.

Comment

7 series hehe. 8 series and up is hit and miss with working in 2d, and you don't get xvmc support either.

Comment

xvmc is worthless anyway, but 2d issues are great.

also, resizing in compiz/beryl is extremely slow with nvidia..

Comment

Originally posted by StringCheesian View Post
          My 9600GT works great, but others have reported 2D performance issues. The 7900 series is probably the most recent nVidia card to get few or no complaints.
          Hi StringCheesian. Would you mind telling us the vendor and model of your 9600GT card? I'm about to buy two of those cards and I would like to be sure it has the 'Linux 2D acceleration approved' seal of quality .

Comment

Originally posted by pflynn View Post
            Hi StringCheesian. Would you mind telling us the vendor and model of your 9600GT card? I'm about to buy two of those cards and I would like to be sure it has the 'Linux 2D acceleration approved' seal of quality .
            This one:
            Buy MSI GeForce 9600 GT 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 SLI Support Video Card N9600GT 512M OC with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

On an ASUS M2N-E motherboard.

It has one flaw. It's nice and quiet only while the nvidia module and xorg are loaded. While booting up or shutting down (or when using vesa or nv driver) the fan roars loudly.

lspci:
            Code:
            07:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 0622 (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
                    Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Device 1270
                    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 20
                    Memory at fa000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
                    Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
                    Memory at f8000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=32M]
                    I/O ports at 9c00 [size=128]
                    [virtual] Expansion ROM at fbf80000 [disabled] [size=512K]
                    Capabilities: [60] Power Management version 3
                    Capabilities: [68] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable-
                    Capabilities: [78] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
                    Capabilities: [b4] Vendor Specific Information <?>
                    Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel <?>
                    Capabilities: [128] Power Budgeting <?>
                    Capabilities: [600] Vendor Specific Information <?>
                    Kernel driver in use: nvidia
                    Kernel modules: nvidia
            Gentoo Linux. nvidia driver 173.14.09. Xorg 7.2 (x86 stable).
            No performance problems with Firefox 3.0.1 on KDE 3 or Gnome 2.22.

I don't know about KDE 4 - I only update it and run it often enough to check if it has the features and configurability I want yet. Resizing is slow, but otherwise it's fine. I haven't seen anything remotely like the outragously slow 2D that people with KDE4+nvidia have described. At least, not in what little time I've spent with it.

Comment

with nvidia set the compiz resize mode to stretch(or any of the ones that isn't normal), nvidia can handle that more easily than normal

Comment

Originally posted by StringCheesian View Post
                Hmm. I have been searching prices and perfomance chards.
                A card like yours costs the same as most of the 8800gt's, but the 8800gt is generally about 20% faster it seems..

If anyone have a 8800gt which is working fully in 2d and 3d, i'd really like a reply

Else i guess i'll have to settle with a 9600gt...

A 7900 series is kinda outta the question, there's really no reason to choose this over a 9600gt...
                Last edited by GoBBLeS; 28 July 2008, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBBLeS View Post
                  Hmm. I have been searching prices and perfomance chards.
                  A card like yours costs the same as most of the 8800gt's, but the 8800gt is generally about 20% faster it seems..

If anyone have a 8800gt which is working fully in 2d and 3d, i'd really like a reply

Else i guess i'll have to settle with a 9600gt...

A 7900 series is kinda outta the question, there's really no reason to choose this over a 9600gt...

I've got a couple of 8800GT's (Palit and PNY) and they are working fine here.

Comment

As far as I'm aware no 8 series and above has adequate 2d performance. If you're after pure 3d speed then nvidia is good and stable (mostly). the 2d issue is awful and as far as I can tell it is up to the individual tolerance of the user to determine whether they can take it...oh yeah keep away from firefox and kde4 if you can't take it...

p.s. If you have a beefy computer you might get away with alright speed (C2Q especially)...

Comment

Working...
                    X