Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 3.5-rc3 Kernel Released, Still A Bit Much

Phoronix: Linux 3.5-rc3 Kernel Released, Still A Bit Much

The third release candidate of the Linux 3.5 kernel was made available on Saturday night...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael just loves putting links all around pointing to his own site.

Comment

Yes I was assuming one of the links would be to the actual lkml announcement, silly me I should have known better.

Comment

Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
        Yes I was assuming one of the links would be to the actual lkml announcement, silly me I should have known better.

Comment

Workarounds aside, what confused me is the question why he does it. Hiding trap-links behind convoluted sentence structures is annoying to those trying to find the news, and only a minor convenience for those who don't know the backstory. But then it's not just the related backstory, but often any halfway related article that can be fit in with a crowbar, so it doesn't appear to be for the benefit of the reader. Just an attempt to increase the google rank?

I'd prefer restructuring news into three distinct stages:
          * The actual news
          * Sources (i.e. links to the original posts)
          * Related Articles

That's easier to read and navigate and looks more professional, while diminishing neither google rank nor the ability for non-regulars to inform themselves about background stories.

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
            Workarounds aside, what confused me is the question why he does it. Hiding trap-links behind convoluted sentence structures is annoying to those trying to find the news, and only a minor convenience for those who don't know the backstory. But then it's not just the related backstory, but often any halfway related article that can be fit in with a crowbar, so it doesn't appear to be for the benefit of the reader. Just an attempt to increase the google rank?

I'd prefer restructuring news into three distinct stages:
            * The actual news
            * Sources (i.e. links to the original posts)
            * Related Articles

That's easier to read and navigate and looks more professional, while diminishing neither google rank nor the ability for non-regulars to inform themselves about background stories.
            I've wondered this too. I don't think it's a Google page rank issues, because I think Google's algorithm catches cheats like this.

My best guess is he's trying to trick people on opening up old articles, to boost the number of page views his ads receive.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              My best guess is he's trying to trick people on opening up old articles, to boost the number of page views his ads receive.
              The articles not having their title in the URL but a completely useless (for humans) hash supports this theory, since people have to click the link to find out which article it was (until they decide just not to click any of those links).

Comment

-rc3 comes with the patch to enable hdmi audio on dce5/northern islands, that's at least one more shameless link to a barely related story.

Comment

Working...
                X