Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notebook Hybrid Graphics On Linux Still Sucks

Phoronix: Notebook Hybrid Graphics On Linux Still Sucks

For those of you that have been wondering about the state of hybrid graphics support for notebooks running Linux, sadly the situation has yet to improve, which still puts it in shambles...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've been using vga_switcheroo for a while now with a lot of problems. I've got a Lenovo U330 with Radeon 3450 and Intel 4500MHD and:

1. LVDS doesn't come back after suspend when using radeon.
    2. Intel freezes Xorg when switching both_cards > integrated_only. I have to do both_cards > discrete_only > integrated_only.
    3. When switching to integrated card with HDMI (attached only to Radeon) connected, kslowd000 starts using 100% CPU.
    4. While using Radeon, I can only suspend once. Suspending more than once causes the Xorg to crash.

I've reported the bugs a _LONG_ time ago. With no response

I'm really thinking about switching back to using lenovo_acpi http://github.com/doudou/lenovo_acpi because I'm just starting getting fed up with this.

Comment

I cannot believe the title of this article. "sucks" as in "sucks dick"?!? I think that the editors need to step back and take a hard look at what image that creates for Phoronix. I did not think that Phoronix was some 14 year old's blog.

Comment

Originally posted by dotancohen View Post
        I cannot believe the title of this article. "sucks" as in "sucks dick"?!? I think that the editors need to step back and take a hard look at what image that creates for Phoronix. I did not think that Phoronix was some 14 year old's blog.
        Informal titles create a nice, cozy feeling. I say keep them.

Comment

Come on... please
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
            Informal titles create a nice, cozy feeling. I say keep them.
            I agree about informal titles. It's vulgar titles that I have a problem with.

Comment

wtf is going on with people?
              You can't say stuff sucks? It has nothing to do with "sucking dicks" except in your perverted imagination.

If someone need to take a hard look at something, it's you, and to look at yourself.

It's due to such reasons that the world goes wrong. Quick! Filter internets! they said "something sucks"! Quick, prison!

Sounds exaggerated? In 15y from now it might not.

Now back to the subject I wanted to submit some patches to the vga switcheroo guy a while ago but he just ignored it altogether. I suppose theres just not enough motivation for this project to "no sucks" at the moment..

Comment

if it "sucked dicks" it would be a pleasurable experience -at least for the male users- but as it seems its not

it seems like one of the features that developers have placed low on the TODO list

Comment

I'd say the graphics switching blows if anything. Like "blows dick".

Chill out or go start your own Linux news aggregate.

Comment

My opinion is that it is distasteful. As in "untasty" dicks.

Comment

Working...
                    X