Drivers for linux are rubbish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Panix View Post
    Okay. I am willing to experiment with a cheap second hand card. How is the 4870 nowadays? For video/2D/3D? Does it work as good as Nvidia 9800GT/GTS 250?

Can I watch a video/divx/dvd without tearing on both ATI drivers?

I'm going to hold off on buying a BRAND NEW recent card for now. I can always sell either card above since there is still some demand for them.
    Obtain a RV7XX card and try it for yourself, as I suggested. I'm not in the business of making decisions for others, which is why I made that try a cheap/sme-recent card for yourself first.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans View Post
      He is asking if he can use tear free video on both drivers. The answer should be:

- on oss -> Yes you can watch tearfree xv videos without any problems.
      - in fglrx -> You have to use mplayer with opengl as output. Then activate vsync through amdcccle and you should be good. Using it almost every day.
      AND you have to disable ANY form of desktop compositing.. unlike with nVidia drivers...

strictly amateur hour here...

Comment

I run compiz + fglrx + totem (with default settings in Ubuntu 10.04) and have no tearing with video at all, with either an HD4200 or a HD5750. The only issue with fglrx I have is slightly slow resizing & maximising on my 5750, but it's supposedly fixable and a fairly minor issue anyway. Overall I am pretty happy with fglrx, I certainly wouldn't say it is rubbish.

Comment

Originally posted by cutterjohn View Post
          AND you have to disable ANY form of desktop compositing.. unlike with nVidia drivers...

Actually you are wrong, if you watch fullscreen and use unredirect fullscreen windows in compiz you will get tear free video in mplayer + ccc vsync.

Comment

Originally posted by cutterjohn View Post

Who said you have to disable compiz? It works with compiz enabled for me.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
              Actually you are wrong, if you watch fullscreen and use unredirect fullscreen windows in compiz you will get tear free video in mplayer + ccc vsync.
              -----------
              Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans View Post
                Originally posted by bwat47
                -----------
                Exactly.
                But given that the competition (nVidia) doesn't require work arounds just to watch tear free video I still think AMD need to keep working before I'm going to be impressed in any way.

I'm sitting here now with a lowly 9800gt running two 24" Acer LCDs. The one on the left is currently streaming TWiT episode 251 via SMPlayer in a window (not maximised, but works just as well full screen) tear free while at the same time running Blender across the two screens and about a million other apps. No fiddling required. Just works. Starting a VLC window plays back tear free at the same time, and again, no fiddling or settings changed.

All with Compiz enabled. In fact there's absolutely no feeling that Compiz is waying down the system in anyway. Just the way it should be.

These days you shouldn't have to be worrying about work arounds just to get video playback the way it's meant to be. When looking at the way fglrx is moving along I'm fairly sure it'll be in a fit state 'real soon now'tm but I totally understand anyone who wants to label fglrx as amateur hour because when compared to the competition, it currently looks like it is.

Comment

Originally posted by mugginz View Post
                  All with Compiz enabled. In fact there's absolutely no feeling that Compiz is waying down the system in anyway. Just the way it should be.
                  compositing has always increased CPU load for me with any window manager and driver combination for me.

These days you shouldn't have to be worrying about work arounds just to get video playback the way it's meant to be. When looking at the way fglrx is moving along I'm fairly sure it'll be in a fit state 'real soon now'tm but I totally understand anyone who wants to label fglrx as amateur hour because when compared to the competition, it currently looks like it is.
                  If you use open drivers, then video playback is not a problem and never has been.

Comment

But given that the competition (nVidia) doesn't require work arounds just to watch tear free video
                    Competition (nVidia) does not work well with KDE4, and since the drivers for older cards are considered legacy, they likely never will.

I had problems for years, until my laptop died. Don't know how it is today, but Konsole was broken when using compositing, and there were artifacts at different places.

nVidia's binary drivers are better than fglrx, but they are not perfect, regardless of what the fanboys spout. Binary drivers are not a solution for Linux, they are a pain in the ass and a crutch until native drivers are written.

It's a lot like running Office through WINE.

Comment

Originally posted by mugginz View Post
                      But given that the competition (nVidia) doesn't require work arounds just to watch tear free video I still think AMD need to keep working before I'm going to be impressed in any way.

I'm sitting here now with a lowly 9800gt running two 24" Acer LCDs. The one on the left is currently streaming TWiT episode 251 via SMPlayer in a window (not maximised, but works just as well full screen) tear free while at the same time running Blender across the two screens and about a million other apps. No fiddling required. Just works. Starting a VLC window plays back tear free at the same time, and again, no fiddling or settings changed.

Well given the test made by Michael the other day, it seems nvidia has some performance decrease with compositing, while the competition (fglrx) doesn't. Sometimes he even tested an increase in performance with fglrx.

Also xrandr works like sh*t with nvidia (I also own a nvidia card), but works quite perfect with fglrx with compositing. I'm able to use the buildin screen utility in gnome, where I'm able to expand my desktop to a tv and have tear free video through mplayer. Thats quite enough for me.

I'm not trying to start a flamewar, I am just saying that nvidia isn't perfect either. They both have some issues.

Comment

Working...
                      X