Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Fedora Plans For Wayland

Phoronix: The Fedora Plans For Wayland

In recent days we have been talking a lot about Ubuntu's plans to deploy the Wayland Display Server and the new Wayland activity, NVIDIA's plans to not support Wayland, and John Carmack's interests to support Wayland, but that isn't the only solution in the world. Red Hat's Adam Jackson has addressed the Fedora plans to support Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I guess we're the peanut gallery

Comment

okay, now there's a 75% chance that a headline will pertain to wayland.

Comment

The phrases "no plans to support Wayland" and "plans to not support Wayland" do not mean the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by snuwoods View Post
          Yeah, it's getting predictable. Perhaps we should go back to 'steam client for linux' for a couple of weeks...

Comment

Originally posted by snuwoods View Post
            I don't want to hurt your feelings but nobody cares if you don't find every (or any) articles on Phoronix interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
              I guess we're the peanut gallery
              The sad thing is that the "peanut gallery" will be right for some years after the switch happens. We saw that with pulse, which totally sucked balls for a long time after distributions hopped on board. Hell some distributions even switched away from it as a default. (Although, amusingly, they switched away from it just as it was getting good enough for normal use.)

I'd just assume not have every distribution jump the gun on this. Let the Ubuntu kids play with it for a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
                Let the Ubuntu kids play with it for a bit.
                That will only serve to leave with a horrible reputation.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
                  The sad thing is that the "peanut gallery" will be right for some years after the switch happens. We saw that with pulse, which totally sucked balls for a long time after distributions hopped on board. Hell some distributions even switched away from it as a default. (Although, amusingly, they switched away from it just as it was getting good enough for normal use.)
                  Huh? Just because ubuntu couldnt stick with the defaults and decided to severely break it doesn't mean that there was something particularly wrong. Fedora switched to PA for F8. F8 was a disaster (for lots of reasons, most of which do NOT involve PA), by F9, PA was ready. That's just SIX MONTHS.

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
                    The phrases "no plans to support Wayland" and "plans to not support Wayland" do not mean the same thing.
                    No, but judging by the current nvidia driver and what they would have to do to support wayland, I don't see much chance of them supporting it. For instance... they don't even support KMS!!! How long has that been part of Linux now?

Of course, there's also very very little reason to care if they do or don't... their dysfunctional POS blob can die and rot for all I care. I've already ditched their turd of a driver for **ALL** of my remaining nvidia hardware, and every time it is necessary to replace anything nvidia, it is NOT being replaced with any more nvidia. Last piece is one laptop, and my ONLY complaint about that machine is the nvidia junk that has made my life miserable since I acquired the thing. If you could replace the GPU on a laptop, I would have done so.

Comment

Working...
                    X