Big Desktop/Multiple monitors using RadeonHD Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Desktop/Multiple monitors using RadeonHD Driver

i'd like to know whether or not the radeonHD drivers have reached a point to where i can use them in either Dual screen or big desktop mode... and on a quick note, for big desktop mode i'd like one display to be 1600x1200, and the other to be 1280x1024 where either screen can be used to render video files... pretty much to sum this up in a few quickly answered questions.

1)Can i do Dual Monitors with mixed Resolutions.
    2)if above is true, then how do i configure big desktop using Mixed resolution displays.
    3)how do i configure Xvideo using RadeonHD for both displays.
    4)does Dual monitors support plugging in monitors while the system is on, and if so how do i use this.

Originally posted by Dandel View Post
    i'd like to know whether or not the radeonHD drivers have reached a point to where i can use them in either Dual screen or big desktop mode... and on a quick note, for big desktop mode i'd like one display to be 1600x1200, and the other to be 1280x1024 where either screen can be used to render video files... pretty much to sum this up in a few quickly answered questions.

1)Can i do Dual Monitors with mixed Resolutions.
    Yes. use xrandr.

2)if above is true, then how do i configure big desktop using Mixed resolution displays.
    See this page:

3)how do i configure Xvideo using RadeonHD for both displays.
    Xv is only supported on r5xx chips at the moment, and only in my personal repo on freedesktop where I ported the code over from the radeon driver.

4)does Dual monitors support plugging in monitors while the system is on, and if so how do i use this.

Yes. use xrandr. see 2. above.

Comment

ok, thanks, and now for another quick question... What about using Big/expanded desktop like modes where i can drag Windows between the screens.

Comment

ok, thanks, and now for another quick question... What about using Big/expanded desktop like modes where i can drag Windows between the screens.
        That's the only option with xrandr. radeonhd does not support independent (zaphod style) multihead.

Comment

ATI Radeon Multiple Monitor Setup Guide w/ Instructions

Yes, you can do all those things in your Display Manager.
          Instructions are near the end of this post.

For anyone who doesn't understand how to setup Multiple Monitors, here are a few tips:

The Three main ways to Setup Multiple Monitors

1) You can buy a pre-manufactured multiple monitor computer. The best place to purchase a multiple monitor computer is at:
          Multi-Monitors.com. They carry a multi-monitor computer line called SUPER-PC that can support from 2 to 12 monitors.

Multi-Screen Computer Systems

Multiple Monitor LCD Displays

2) You can get a USB to VGA Adapter, or USB to DVI Adapter that will allow you to add an extra monitor to your computer
          via any USB2.0 Port. You can also add multiple extra monitors by using multiple adapters. This is a great option for viewing
          documents, surfing the web, using Microsoft Office and many other business tasks. This is not a good option for intense
          graphical situations such as HDTV, Blu-ray, Gaming and 3D / CAD Workstation applications. For those types of scenarios,
          it is highly recommended that you purchase a high-powered multi-monitor workstation or a Matrox Dual or Triple Head2Go.

Multiple Monitor Adapters

3) You can replace or add an extra video card to your existing computer, depending on how many monitors you wish to support.
          Although this sounds easy enough, this is a rather complex solution for a beginner, especially when trying to find a compatible
          graphics card. For this reason, I am going to write an entirely seperate post on that topic and will link to it here, very soon.

Multi-Monitor Graphics Cards

Once you have your multiple monitor system set up and ready to use, you will need to enable all of your monitors in
          your ?Display Properties? Control Panel. Here is a great link to a complete and animated walkthrough of how to enable
          your multiple monitors in Windows.

How to Setup Multiple Monitors (Instructions)

This is what it will look like when you are done:

Multi-Monitor Video Demo 1
          Multi-Monitor Video Demo 2

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
            Yes. use xrandr.
            I've tried setting up dual monitor with xrandr 1.3 (3650 mobile on radeonhd / hdmi), but my external monitor keeps flickering and showing artifacts, even though it's set to it's native resolution and refreshrate. Should i consider this a radeonhd or a xrandr bug?

Comment

Does an admin wanna delete that spam from "JealousFraud"?

Comment

Or at least ask them to add Linux support to their offerings
                Test signature

Comment

Working...
                X