Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Still Deciding About Intel Acceleration Support

Phoronix: Ubuntu Still Deciding About Intel Acceleration Support

Ubuntu developers are still deciding whether they will enable support for the Intel SNA "Sandy Bridge New Acceleration" architecture within Ubuntu 13.04, the next release of the Linux operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They should

Intel's the only GPU manufacturer that's really their behind open source drivers.

Comment

Thanks for reminding me to enable SNA lol
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunehunter View Post
        Intel's GPU needs every driver hack and trick they can come up with to come close to what AMD and Nvidia offer due to howweak their GPU hardware is.
        Fixed it for yah.

Comment

Make this happen

Comment

Oh, come on, guys! There's really no reason to piddle around with this still after so many years. SNA is ready. It's been ready for months. I reported four bugs during the early days of SNA, so I'll admit to its buggy nature in 2011, but that was quite a while ago, and they've been working on it *consistently* since then.

Also, the alternative to SNA -- UXA -- has its own share of bugs. The only difference is that UXA isn't being as actively maintained because most/all of the new code and bugfixes are happening in SNA. I have a few open bug reports regarding incorrect 2D rendering that works fine on vesa, SNA, nouveau, r600g, etc. Nobody's fixing the bugs. But if you find a bug in SNA, it usually gets fixed pretty quickly.

It would be beneficial to all downstreams of the Intel driver to just move to SNA when they next upgrade their distro (so if you're running an existing distro with UXA and it works fine, that's cool), so that Intel can drop UXA support from their driver entirely and not have to maintain those code paths, just like they did with EXA and XAA a few years ago, as well as UMS, DRI1, and non-GEM support.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
              Fixed it for yah.
              For every no-gamer desktop user out there, is the best option.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunehunter View Post
                Intel's the only GPU manufacturer that's really their behind open source drivers.
                Intel isn't a GPU manufacturer.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                  Intel isn't a GPU manufacturer.
                  Technically speaking, they are the only GPU designer and manufacturer in the industry as nobody else who designs GPUs - integrated or on add-in cards - has the ability to mass manufacture their designs in-house since they contract out to third-parties to fab and assemble the products. AMD got rid of it's ability to manufacture anything on a large scale and ATI always contracted third-parties to make their GPUs and boards and Nvidia has always done the same.

Comment

Working...
                  X